Saturday, January 1, 2022

Review of 2021 Bookish Goals

It's 2022! I've decided not to set any bookish goals for this year. I have enough else going on in my life right now! However, I did want to share how I did with my 2021 goals (which I intentionally made very squishy to keep it fun for me).

1. Read some books from my to-read list.
I drastically changed how I organize my books in Goodreads during 2021, so while I did successfully read four books from my original to-read list, that list is no more and my "might want to read" list has been cut down and I've added tags to it for the different reasons I'm interested in certain books.

2. Read some books published in 2021.
Yes — 20 of them! A number of my favorite authors had 2021 publications, and I also read several books that were newly released by people we interviewed on the podcast.

3. Read some books published in 2020.
Yep, I read nine of these.

4. Read some books from my "shelf of shame."
I read three that I recorded, though I usually take a book off this shelf when I start reading it so I may have forgotten some.

5. Continue with the Miss Marple series.
I got through several more books in the series, and I have five left to enjoy.

6. Read something my sister recommends.
So my sister didn't want to recommend me anything, and when I asked which of the books on her favorites list she thought I would like, she said I wouldn't. I persevered and picked one anyway, and she was correct — I did not like it very much! :D I may have to retire this goal until my sister finishes law school and starts reading for pleasure again, which I hope she does!

7. Read everything my bibliologist recommends.
I enjoyed my TBR subscription a lot! I read almost everything my bibliologist recommended, except that I have two books from the last quarter I haven't gotten to yet. But I plan to!

8. Read some books about race in America.
I read seven books that I think could fit into this category, some of which were stronger than others. How to Be an Antiracist was definitely the best of the bunch, but they each had something to offer.

9. Reread some books I've read before.
I read a number of childhood favorites to my older son before we started exploring some chapter book series that were new to both of us, and between my two book clubs I reread four books I'd read before. Now that I have a second kid, I also reread the excellent baby sleep resource Precious Little Sleep!

10. Participate in at least two TTT linkups each month.
Success! I actually managed to participate in three TTT linkups more months than not. And every month I also participated in the Quick Lit linkup and hosted the Best of the Bunch end-of-month linkup.

Did you make any bookish goals for 2021? How did you do?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Strangers from a Different Shore and Feminist, Queer, Crip
Five years ago I was reading: Death in the Clouds, Good-Bye to All That, and Dracula
Ten years ago I was reading: The Fault in Our Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment