Monday, January 31, 2022

Best of the Bunch (January 2022)

Best of the Bunch header

Today I'm sharing the best book I read in January.

Of the 16 books I read this month, I had three 5-star reads:

Good Talk by Mira Jacob

The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood

Sing Anyway by Anita Kelly

These are all excellent books in their own way! For my Best of the Bunch, I'm going to go with the one that has spurred me to read the entire rest of the series...
The Mysterious Howling was just delightful, ably narrated in a posh English accent by Katherine Kellgren, which gave weight to the kind of Mary Poppins air this middle grade book seems to be meant to have. It requires a generous helping of suspension of disbelief, of course (that children ostensibly raised by wolves could learn English so quickly and be perfectly behaved pupils always ready to learn), but as the book doesn't take itself too seriously, it works. The characters are all over-the-top in just the right amount. This first book in the series doesn't end on a cliffhanger so much as leaving a number of unanswered questions that the central character will continue investigating through the rest of the series.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Red at the Bone, How to Be Ace, Listen, and Socks
Five years ago I was reading: Don Quixote, Good-Bye to All That, and Dangerous Girls
Ten years ago I was reading: Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment