Monday, January 24, 2022

Ten New-to-Me Authors I Discovered in 2021


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

This week's topic is those authors we read for the first time in 2021, whether or not they published for the first time in 2021. Here are ten of mine!
1. Becky Chambers
This was the year I finally read the Wayfarers series and fell in love with Chambers' writing. I'm so happy that she's started a new series that will have its second book out this year!
2. Asia Citro
Citro's Zoey and Sassafras series was the one that I heard recommended from every corner when I was looking for a new chapter book series with my older kid. Sadly we are down to the ninth and last book that's been published so far, but I'm so glad we had the chance to read these wonderful books!
3. Jacqueline Jules
Jules' Zapato Power series, in contrast, was the first series that we read all the way through, and the combination of adventure, mystery, and diverse representation informed what I've been looking for ever since!
4. Ibram X. Kendi
It was beyond time for me to pick up How to Be an Antiracist, and I immediately saw why the book is a standout even among the many great antiracism books out there. It was the first of Kendi's books I had read, but it won't be the last.
5. Robert Kolker
Hidden Valley Road was recommended as a comp for The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and it successfully delivered the same blend of biography and science reporting that I found so compelling. When Who Is the Bad Art Friend? blew up the Internet a while ago, I wasn't surprised when I got to the end and found it was another stellar piece of reporting from Kolker.
6. Seanan McGuire
I picked up Every Heart a Doorway after hearing it recommended repeatedly on Get Booked, and I thought McGuire's entire approach to the story was clever and multi-layered. Although I opted not to continue with the series, I was glad to have experienced McGuire's excellent writing for the first time last year.
7. Rosamunde Pilcher
After having it on my to-read list for years, I finally read The Shell Seekers last year and absolutely loved it, and I'm so glad to know that Pilcher has an entire catalog of other books I can explore!
8. Nalini Singh
I would not have discovered Singh if my bibliologist hadn't recommended A Madness of Sunshine, a thriller that is apparently quite different from Singh's normal fare. I enjoyed reading a book set in New Zealand by someone who grew up there!
9. & 10. Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples
I finally started the Saga graphic novel series last year, and it is quite a trip! I've made it up to the eighth volume by now. Although the story's gotten quite convoluted and sometimes difficult to follow by now, there's no doubt that these two are talented!

Which authors did you read for the first time last year?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Concrete Rose, My Father's Dragon, and The Shell Seekers
Five years ago I was reading: Don Quixote, Good-Bye to All That, and The Bell Jar
Ten years ago I was reading: Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat

No comments:

Post a Comment