Monday, January 17, 2022

Ten 2021 Releases I Was Excited to Read But Didn’t Get To


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

This week we're talking about 2021 publications that we didn't read in 2021, but we're still hoping to get to eventually. Here are ten of mine!
1. Cultish by Amanda Montell
This book sounds like exactly the kind of journalistic nonfiction I enjoy — an exploration of things that aren't technically cults but share many of the same characteristics that traditional cults do. I'm interested to know more!
2. Detransition, Baby by Torrey Peters
I'm usually not that keen on books that are classified as very "literary" (and have the awards to prove it), but this one caught my attention because I keep hearing it described by trans people as a book that doesn't cater to a cis audience. That is definitely something I'd like to experience!
3. Empire of Pain by Patrick Radden Keefe
Another nonfiction pick that explores one topic deeply, which multiple people I follow on Goodreads have given 5 stars. It sounds fascinating, and I also feel like I should know a little more about the opioid crisis than I do.
4. Four Thousand Weeks by Oliver Burkeman
Being at a pivot point in my life right now, this seems like a good companion to one of my favorites, 168 Hours, for helping me think about how I most want to spend the time I have.
5. How the Word Is Passed by Clint Smith
I don't know if I heard any book more enthusiastically recommended from so many different corners last year than this one. I had the opportunity to hear the author talk about his book at the end of Ashley C. Ford's audiobook of Somebody's Daughter, where the two interviewed one another about their respective works. I will definitely be prioritizing this read.
6. Laundry Love by Patric Richardson
This book was enthusiastically recommended by Anne Bogel, and now that I'm solo parenting half the week and trying to spend that time only on work, my kids, and anything around the house that has to get done to care for them, I like the idea of finding joy in the daily tasks that need to get done.
7. Let the Record Show by Sarah Schulman
I heard an NPR podcast about this book and some of the history of ACT UP contained in it, and it was referenced again recently on another podcast. I'm especially interested in the any-and-every-strategy methods of the activist coalition and what that can teach us today.
8. Matrix by Lauren Groff
This book has been recommended on Get Booked multiple times now, and I'm intrigued by this badass feminist novel set in a 12th century abbey.
9. Sing Anyway by Anita Kelly
I haven't seen a ton of romances with non-binary characters, so I'm looking forward to reading this one!
10. You'll Never Believe What Happened to Lacey by Amber Ruffin and Lacey Lamar
I always appreciate when people of color and other folks from marginalized groups are willing to share their experiences of microaggressions because I learn better how not to put my foot in my mouth in my own daily life. Combine that with the framing of "let's laugh about how absolutely ridiculous white people can be," and I'm definitely here for it.

Which 2021 releases are you still hoping to read?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: The Bear and the Nightingale, The Mouse and the Motorcycle, and The Shell Seekers
Five years ago I was reading: The Picture of Dorian Gray, Good-Bye to All That, and Mountains Beyond Mountains
Ten years ago I was reading: The Phantom Tollbooth

No comments:

Post a Comment