Monday, February 7, 2022

Ten Queer Romances I Might Want to Read


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

This week is a "love freebie"! I've only started reading romances in the past couple years and still haven't read very many, but I have quite a list on my "might want to read" list by now from all the recommendations I've gotten. For a previous Valentine's Day freebie I talked about some of the romances on my list, so this time I thought I'd focus just on some of the queer romances on the list. There are a lot more out there than there used to be, but many are still under the radar!
1. A & B by J.C. Lillis
I don't know a lot about this one except that people are describing it as "cheesy" and "adorable," and there will definitely be a time I'm in a mood for a book like that.
2. Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit by Jaye Robin Brown
There was a lot of hype about this one when it came out, but I haven't gotten around to reading it. However, having read some truly awful books that pit religion and sexuality against each other in a simplistic way, this one seems like needed rep for LGBTQIA+ Christians.
3. Heartstopper by Alice Oseman
Cute gay YA romance graphic novel? Yes please!
4. The Henna Wars by Jaigirdar Adiba
I am raising an eyebrow a little bit at the description of "When Dimple Met Rishi meets Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda" (because those are some powerhouse YA romances and it seems like they might just be trying to say "They're brown and gay!"), but nonetheless, this story of two teenage girls with rival henna businesses in Ireland falling in love sounds pretty cute.
5. How to Be a Normal Person by T.J. Klune
I've seen this recommended a lot more since Klune's bestseller The House in the Cerulean Sea came out, and the combination of ace rep and a story set in Oregon makes me especially interested.
6. It Takes Two to Tumble by Cat Sebastian
This has been recommended multiple times on Get Booked, and it's basically The Sound of Music but gay, which I am totally here for.
7. The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics by Olivia Waite
This has also been recommended more than once on Get Booked, and it sounds pretty great. It's 1800s historical fiction where one of the characters needs a French astronomy text translated, and the other one shows up to take the job, and things unfold from there.
8. The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith
This is a 1952 classic I haven't yet read but would like to. As far as I've heard, it's the rare queer classic that escaped the "bury the gays" trope.
9. Star-Crossed by Barbara Dee
I love me some middle grade, and it's about time that a middle grade character's first crush was someone of the same gender. This looks super cute!
10. The Summer of Jordi Perez by Amy Spalding
This one may skate too close to the "angsty teen romance" category for me, but I haven't read much in that category that includes queer representation, so I'm willing to give this a shot.

Have you read any of these? What queer romances do you recommend?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Dinosaurs Before Dark, and All the Birds, Singing
Five years ago I was reading: The Last Time We Say Goodbye, Good-Bye to All That, and How to Talk so Little Kids Will Listen
Ten years ago I was reading: Stumbling on Happiness

No comments:

Post a Comment