Monday, February 28, 2022

Best of the Bunch (February 2022)

Best of the Bunch header

Today I'm sharing the best book I read in February.

Of the 15 books I read this month, I only had one 5-star read, and it was a reread, but I guess it's the Best of the Bunch!
I actually liked Killers of the Flower Moon better on reread because of the audiobook, and I'd liked it quite a bit the first time. It's a fascinating and horrifying true crime story from a century ago. Forced to relocate to what seemed like poor land, the Osage ended up gaining immense wealth when oil was discovered after they'd secured the rights to all resources under the ground. It might seem like this is a rare case where indigenous people didn't get completely screwed over by white Americans, but it turns out that white people figured out how to steal their wealth anyway through systematically murdering the Osage. Because of the massive web of corruption, it took a determined outsider from the infant FBI and his team to finally solve the crimes. Or did he? As the author pulls back the lens farther and farther with each section, the true horror sinks in.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Record of a Spaceborn Few, James and the Giant Peach, and How to Be an Antiracist
Five years ago I was reading: The Brothers Karamazov and The Nightingale
Ten years ago I was reading: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment