Monday, February 10, 2020

Ten Romance Books I Might Want to Read


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

It's a Valentine's Day freebie! I decided to go through the Goodreads romance genre page for books that are on my to-read or might-want-to-read lists. I always thought I wasn't interested in romance (which seemed to me to be synonymous with either erotica or chick lit), but an episode of What Should I Read Next (with a guest who used to feel the same way) prompted me to reconsider when I learned that it simply means there's a happy ending and people in love. So I've been adding more books in this category to my list!


1. Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
Unlike seemingly everyone else I wasn't a huge fan of Eleanor & Park, but I'd like to give her another chance, and maybe I would like a romance between adults better.


2. The Hating Game by Sally Thorne
This one had mixed reviews from the people I follow, despite having an overall 4.18 rating on Goodreads. I feel like I would probably not like it, but maybe I'm one of the people who would love it — who knows.


3. It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover
This was on all the best-of lists the year it came out (2016), and almost everyone I follow who's read it liked it, so I feel like my chances are pretty good on this one.


4. The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang
I keep hearing about this as the one that hooked people who didn't think they liked romance, so maybe it's for me?


5. My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick
This one's YA, but according to the reviews the characters are relatively mature, so that makes me think it might be similar to I'll Meet You There? (I could be way off.)


6. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
This is on my shelf of shame because it's one of those books everyone but me seems to have read. The time-travel aspect and the unfinished-series aspect have me hesitating, but I will eventually get around to it.


7. P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern
This has mixed reviews from the people I follow, but I'd be interested to read it and then watch the movie. I liked Ahern's One Hundred Names pretty well and that one has a lower overall rating, so you never know.


8. Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles
This is supposed to be an updated West Side Story-type plot set in Chicago, which sounds interesting to me!


9. Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston
It seems like everyone has been gushing about this book, so I have a hold on it at the library, though I'm not 100% sold since my best gay male friend wasn't a big fan of it.


10. To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
I think this one might be too YA for me, but I keep seeing it highly recommended on people's lists, so maybe I'll give it a chance!

Which of these have you read? What do you recommend?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Half of a Yellow Sun and Let the Great World Spin
Five years ago I was reading: The Name of the Star, Ballet Shoes, and Charming Billy
Ten years ago I was reading: The Jungle Books

No comments:

Post a Comment