Monday, February 3, 2020

Ten Books On My TBR I Predict Will Be 5-Star Reads


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

This week we're talking about books on our to-read lists that we think will be 5-star reads. I decided to challenge myself and pick books off my original, capped TBR list rather than my 1000+ might-want-to-read list. A 5-star rating is a high bar for me, and I think I've already read most of the books off that list that I was very excited about it, but I picked ten that I'm pretty sure I will probably end up enjoying.


1. Ain't I a Woman by bell hooks
I should get to this one this year as part of my goal to read more books on feminism. This will be my first bell hooks, which I'm looking forward to after seeing her quoted in a million other books I've read!


2. Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys
I've heard people gushing about this one on multiple occasions, and it has a 4.37 rating on Goodreads, so I feel pretty optimistic that it will be a good one.


3. The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown
This one is in my audio queue now. I love a good historical story, and I keep hearing about this one!


4. The Gene by Siddhartha Mukherjee
I gave his The Emperor of All Maladies 5 stars, so I'm hoping this one will be the same!


5. Harmful to Minors by Judith Levine
This one was recommended by multiple trusted sources, and it involves a topic I'm passionate about: the importance of comprehensive sex ed.


6. Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela
I'm very interested to hear Mandela's story, and it has high ratings, so it should be good!


7. The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher
I've seen this one recommended alongside The Thorn Birds, which I loved, so I feel pretty good about the chances of this one being a 5-star read.


8. Slavery by Another Name by Douglas A. Blackmon
This is one that I've seen recommended alongside The New Jim Crow, which was a solid 5 stars — I'm hoping this is the same.


9. The Truth About Stories by Thomas King
I really liked King's The Inconvenient Indian — he has a great writing style. I'm looking forward to reading this one and expect it to be just as good.


10. A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers
I'm interested to read this one because I loved Redeeming Love, but I was also at a different place in my life when I read it. Will I agree with the high ratings this series has received as well?

What books do you plan to read and think will be favorites?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Half of a Yellow Sun and The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter
Five years ago I was reading: Hyperbole and a Half, Flowers for Algernon, and Heidi
Ten years ago I was reading: The Jungle Books

No comments:

Post a Comment