Thursday, January 30, 2020

Best of the Bunch: January 2020


Today I'm sharing the best book I read in January.

Of the 8 books I read this month, I had two 5-star reads:

I Bring the Voices of My People: A Womanist Vision for Racial Reconciliation by Dr. Chanequa Walker-Barnes

Greenglass House by Kate Milford

I loved them both, but my best of the bunch is definitely...


If I could give I Bring the Voices of My People more than 5 stars, I would. It's just so damn good. Walker-Barnes takes some thorny topics, like gendered racism and the problems with racial reconciliation in the church, and leads the reader through them with clarity and truth. She patiently breaks down the areas where others have glossed over necessary nuance; for example, when we talk about gendered racism facing women of color, we have to understand that that manifests differently for Native American women than for Asian women and differently for Latinx women than African American women, and it also manifests differently within each of those groups because of colorism. Walker-Barnes also explains how race can be both a social construct and an absolute reality, and why both of those pieces matter to this conversation. I highlighted many passages and was left with much to ponder. For all Christians and anyone else concerned with racial justice, I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: The Night Masquerade and The Sympathizer
Five years ago I was reading: A Little Princess and Olive Kitteridge
Ten years ago I was reading: The Jungle Books
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment