Monday, January 6, 2020

Top Ten Bookish Goals for 2020


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

Just like last year, there isn't a weekly topic on bookish goals anymore and this week is one on anticipated 2020 publications, of which I have almost none (only A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor and Don't Overthink It), so I'm just using this week to share my goals instead! In case you missed it, I reviewed how I did on my 2019 goals.

1. Read at least three books published in 2020.
I'm keeping this goal from previous years because it gives me permission to pick up new releases even when I have a long TBR list. And I usually have at least a few favorites of the year that are published that year!

2. Get roughly 1/3 of my 2020 reads from my TBR list.
I decided to set this goal a bit more realistically this year, as my reading the past two years has been about 35% off my TBR even when I set my goal at 50%. I like having the push to clear out my original, capped TBR list, but don't want to stress myself out about it.

3. Read 50% fiction and 50% nonfiction.
Typically about 1/3 of my reading is nonfiction, but I have a ton of nonfiction on my TBR list, and I also find that I rate the nonfiction I read higher than the fiction on average. This year I'm going to try to up my nonfiction reading.

4. Read at least five books on my "shelf of shame."
I'm keeping this goal again this year because I keep having conversations with people who recommend books to me that are on my Goodreads shelf of shame and I keep having to say, "It's on my list! I haven't read it yet!" so I hope to knock more of those books off my list this year.

5. Read something my sister recommends.
Keeping this tradition again this year! My sister has recommended some great books to me and I like being able to talk books with her, since we both like reading but tend to have different tastes. I'm not sure how much reading she's doing for fun while in law school, but I'm sure there's at least something from her past reading that I haven't read yet.

6. Read some modern books on feminism.
Now that I have a podcast for Christian feminists, I want to stay well-versed in the conversations happening in present-day feminism, particularly from a diversity of voices. My first book of the year was I Bring the Voices of My People: A Womanist Vision for Racial Reconciliation by Dr. Chanequa Walker-Barnes (which was AMAZING) and I'm excited to read more.

7. Read some books set in Portland.
I feel like I keep stumbling across recommendations for books that happen to be set in Portland (where I live) and I'd love to make it a priority to pick some of them up. I don't know all the areas of the city as well as I would like so I also think reading a book might push me to check out new areas of the city (either in person or, at the very least, through some internet research).

8. Read a Louise Penny book.
Anne Bogel has been recommending these for years, and even though I know I love murder mysteries, I don't often make it a priority to read them, except for Agatha Christie and Tana French. I'm going to read Still Life this year, and if I like it, hopefully read a few more in the Inspector Gamache series.

9. Listen to some classics narrated by celebrities.
I keep hearing about classic books that I read 10+ years ago that have recently been released as audiobooks narrated by famous people. I am interested in Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston narrated by Ruby Dee, Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery narrated by Rachel McAdams, and The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood narrated by Claire Danes. Unfortunately I don't have an Audible account and I think some of these may be Audible exclusives, so I will have to figure that out...

10. Start the Miss Marple series.
I've read all the Poirot books and all the Tommy and Tuppence books, so it's time to start the Miss Marple books in my quest to read Agatha Christie's complete works. I'm not going to attempt to get through all of this year (who knows, maybe I will) but I will at least start reading those books in publication order.

What are your bookish goals for 2020?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Cutting for Stone, Cold Comfort Farm, and Pachinko
Five years ago I was reading: The Great Gilly Hopkins and The Canterbury Tales
Ten years ago I was reading: Silas Marner

No comments:

Post a Comment