Monday, February 17, 2020

The Last Ten Books that Gave Me a Book Hangover


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

This week we're talking about book hangovers! I would define these books as ones where I keep thinking about the characters long after I've turned the last page. This doesn't happen very often; I had to go back to mid-2017 when compiling a list of the ten most recent books where I had this experience. But you know they're good ones!


1. An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green
This is the only book that I've reread within six months of reading it the first time. It was completely engaging and I spent a long time afterwards marveling at the story world that Green had created. I'm very excited for the sequel that comes out this year. (I may just have to reread the original again ahead of time.)


2. Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour
I absolutely loved this book, and by the end I felt like the characters were friends that I'd gotten to hang out with and now had to say goodbye to. A book hangover for sure.


3. The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict by Trenton Lee Stewart
I loved the first Mysterious Benedict Society book and was glad I could immediate read the next two books, but by the end I wasn't necessarily craving any more stories with those characters. This prequel, however, was a standalone, and I definitely wouldn't have mind spending more time with young Nicholas Benedict and his friends!


4. Greenglass House by Kate Milford
I picked this one up only a few days before going to see the author speak and tore through it. I didn't plan to read beyond that first book, but I enjoyed it so much that I started on the sequel immediately but then didn't have time right away to finish it. I kept thinking about everything the author had done well in the first book, and I was glad when I finally had time to read the sequel!


5. The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
This book gave me a lot to chew on, and even though it wasn't a favorite per se, McCullers created a rich, emotional world among her main characters that left me thinking about them and their individual struggles after I was done reading the book.


6. Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli
I don't know if Albertalli will ever continue the Creekwood series, but I would definitely read another book if she did. I laughed and cried many times reading this book, and I blazed through it so fast that my mind was still processing it after I'd finished.


7. The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater
This is the fourth and final book in the Raven Cycle series, and I read all four books basically back-to-back. After living in Stiefvater's world for so long, it was difficult to come up for air afterwards. I recently finished Call Down the Hawk (the start to a follow-up series), and while it didn't exactly give me a book hangover, I am eagerly looking forward to the rest of that series.


8. The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing by Mira Jacob
I'm not always a fan of long books that move back and forth in time, but in this case it gave me a deep understanding of the characters over a long span of their lives, and I genuinely felt I would miss the characters when I finished the book.


9. The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough
This is also a long book that spans a lifetime, but it rewards you for the time you put in. These characters' stories continued to haunt me after I was done, and I got my husband to watch the entire 1980s miniseries with me.


10. The Trespasser by Tana French
French's books always suck me in, but I usually end up frustrated at the end. This one, though, was crafted nearly perfectly, and so I was content afterwards to keep thinking back over the different clues and the way everything had been woven together.

What's the last book to give you a book hangover?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Prince Caspian and Moneyball
Five years ago I was reading: The Book of Chameleons, All-of-a-Kind Family, and A Letter to My Congregation
Ten years ago I was reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court

No comments:

Post a Comment