Monday, January 11, 2021

Ten Bookish Goals for 2021


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

This week is about our resolutions for the year, bookish or otherwise. I typically set 10 bookish goals each year, and I debated on whether to abandon the practice this year. I like some things about having goals but sometimes they can stress me out, which is not what I want in my reading life. Eventually I decided I would make my goals less "SMART" by taking away exact numbers and would go easy on myself by listing out what I planned to do anyway rather than making any stretch goals this year. Here's what I expect to do this year. (See my previous post of how I did on my 2020 goals.)

1. Read some books from my to-read list.
I'm still working my way through my original to-read list, and I'd like to make at least a little progress this year on getting more titles read from that list. (Since I no longer have unread books on my shelves, this is kind of the equivalent for me.)

2. Read some books published in 2021.
I like having a goal that gives me permission to pick up at least some "new and shiny" publications when I hear about them.

3. Read some books published in 2020.
Every year there are books published that I regret not getting to, and though I read 18 books published in 2020, there are lots more on my list, so I want to make space to get to some of those!

4. Read some books from my "shelf of shame."
I'm slowly working my way through these few dozen "books I should have read by now," which I always enjoy because they tend to be ones that even casual readers know and recommend, so we can discuss them.

5. Continue with the Miss Marple series.
Will I finish the series this year? Probably, but if I don't that's OK too!

6. Read something my sister recommends.
I'm continuing this goal that I've had in recent years. My sister hasn't done a lot of personal reading since starting law school, but there are some books on her favorites list that I haven't read, so I'm going to see which one she thinks I should try.

7. Read everything my bibliologist recommends.
I'm very excited to have been gifted a TBR subscription for my birthday, and I already read and loved one suggestion, The Parker Inheritance. The other recent recs will take a while to get from the library, and then I'll get another set of three recommendations next quarter, which I plan to prioritize in my reading!

8. Read some books about race in America.
I've read a lot of books on this topic in the past decade and I have many more on my to-read list, so I want to make sure I continue learning about the experiences of Americans of color as well as the historical and present-day contributors to structural racism.

9. Reread some books I've read before.
It's well documented on this blog that I'm not a big rereader, but in the past few years I've ended up rereading some, mostly for book club but also by revisiting childhood classics. Now that my older son is up for having me read chapter books to him at bedtime, I plan to get through several rereads.

10. Participate in at least two TTT linkups each month.
I've done pretty well with this the past couple years, and I'd like to continue!

What are your 2021 goals or resolutions?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: The Seeress of Kell, The Next Evangelicalism, and There There
Five years ago I was reading: Lonesome Dove, Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, and Bhagavad-Gita
Ten years ago I was reading: Human Happiness

No comments:

Post a Comment