Monday, January 25, 2021

Ten New-to-Me Authors I Read in 2020


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

This week we're talking about authors that were new to us in 2020. I tried to pick out authors who have written multiple books and weren't new to everybody in 2020, just to me!
1. Julie Berry
Although I wasn't head over heels for Lovely War like a lot of people have been, I quite enjoyed it and thought she wrote a well-researched historical novel. Her previous books didn't get nearly as much acclaim, so it will be interesting to see what she does next!
2. Angela Y. Davis
It took me far too long to get around to reading one of Davis' books, but I'm very glad I read Women, Race & Class in 2020. I'm also interested to read one of her more recent books, Freedom Is a Constant Struggle.
3. Doris Kearns Goodwin
In 2020 I read what is definitely her most well-known work, Team of Rivals, but she has several other highly rated books that could be interesting to pick up.
4. bell hooks
I have no excuse for the fact that I didn't pick up any of hooks' works until last year, but I'm very glad that Ain't I a Woman had stuck on my to-read list for so long. I also very much want to read Feminism Is for Everybody.
5. Adib Khorram
It worked out well that I read Darius the Great Is Not Okay for the first time in 2020, since a sequel also came out last year! I loved the Darius books and look forward to seeing what Khorram does next.
6. T.J. Klune
I picked up The House in the Cerulean Sea due to all the buzz, but I didn't realize Klune had written a ton of other books as well that are also very highly rated on Goodreads!
7. Kate Milford
Before everything shut down, I had a chance to see Milford speak, and I read the first two books in the Greenglass House series in preparation. She had not been on my radar before but I'm glad to have been introduced to her books!
8. Kate Morton
Morton has written a ton of well-loved books, but The Secret Keeper was the one that had made its way onto my to-read list and the one I finally read last year. I really enjoyed it and would definitely be open to reading more of her books.
9. Beth O'Leary
I don't know why the description of The Switch was so compelling to me, but I loved it and then had to read The Flatshare as well. Hoping to get her next one just as soon as it comes out this year!
10. Renée Watson
I picked up Piecing Me Together as part of my goal of reading more books set in Portland, and it was so good! I don't know how she got on my radar originally, but she has a ton of other books that are not as well known as this one.

Which authors were new to you in 2020?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Ghosts of Greenglass House and Their Eyes Were Watching God
Five years ago I was reading: Lonesome Dove, Dancing with God, Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, and Stolen
Ten years ago I was reading: The Luck Factor

No comments:

Post a Comment