Sunday, January 31, 2021

Best of the Bunch (January 2021)

Best of the Bunch header

Today I'm sharing the best book I read in January.

Of the 12 books I read this month, I had two 5-star reads:

Concrete Rose by Angie Thomas

The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher

This was a hard choice because these were both excellent! However, I'm going to go with the one that ended up on my all-time favorites list as the Best of the Bunch...


I absolutely adored The Shell Seekers. The characters felt like real people, and what I loved most was that there are no villains in this book; every person has their own values and priorities, and sometimes those lead to conflicts with one another, but no one is really evil. The pacing was well done, and the descriptions are masterful, so that I could feel myself there, experiencing the sights and sounds of a country garden or the seashore or a hot, stuffy London taxi. I'm glad I saved this one for when I had the time to read it in long stretches, because it's the kind of book you have to take time to inhabit, or else you may get impatient with the detailed descriptions or scenes of people living their everyday lives. Highly recommended.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Activist Theology and Call Down the Hawk
Five years ago I was reading: Lonesome Dove, Dancing with God, The Girl on the Train, and Emotional Vampires
Ten years ago I was reading: Boy

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment