Monday, June 7, 2021

Ten Books I Loved that Made Me Want More Books Like Them


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

I've been busy and haven't been able to link up recently, so I'm happy to be back! This week we're talking about books we loved that made us interested in reading similar books.
1. The Malloreon series by David Eddings
After I read this series in middle school, I tried to find other fantasy that I would like as much, but unfortunately I couldn't find anything at the time that had such a diversity of prominent female characters.
2. A Mango-Shaped Space by Wendy Mass
This book made me interested in learning more about synesthesia and hearing more first-person accounts of people's experiences with it.
3. The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
This book prompted me to seek out other middle grade after I realized how much I loved this kind of story.
4. Pastrix by Nadia Bolz-Weber
After reading this book, I realized that there was a whole collection of newer Christian books that were progressive and inclusive and that I no longer needed to steer clear of that entire section of the bookstore.
5. The Raven Cycle series by Maggie Stiefvater
I'm typically not a big fan of YA fantasy, but I loved this series so much that I was more willing to give others in this vein a chance after finishing it.
6. Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston
I don't read much adult romance, but this book got so much hype that I picked it up, and it was so outside my understanding of the genre that I was prompted to read more of these feel-good stories.
7. The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
This book made me interested in reading more unreliable narrators, though unfortunately few that I've read since have the same spirit of a narrator who's mostly lying to himself in a sweet and sympathetic way.
8. Sadie by Courtney Summers
This book has such an interesting format, with a first-person narrative interspersed with podcast episodes, that is accentuated in the audio version. I'd definitely be interested in reading another book that explores this kind of format!
9. The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher
This book stuck such a specific tone that I don't know how I would find something like it, but I'm open to recommendations!
10. What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty
I read this one at a very particular point in my life (29 years old, anticipating our first child) that this book provided a particular kind of mirror for me. Now I'm always on the lookout for books that mirror my unique life experiences at whatever stage I'm at.

What books have you read that made you want to read something similar?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: The Book of Longings and Team of Rivals
Five years ago I was reading: The Husband's Secret, When Breath Becomes Air, and The Two Towers
Ten years ago I was reading: Confessions of a Counterfeit Farm Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment