Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Best of the Bunch (June 2021)

Best of the Bunch header

Today I'm sharing the best book I read in June.

Of the 10 books I read this month, I had one 5-star read, so that's my Best of the Bunch!


I wasn't sure what to expect from On Juneteenth, but Gordon-Reed managed to pack a lot into a pretty slim book of essays. Drawing on both her personal experiences as a Black Texan and her professional experience as a scholar of Early American History, Gordon-Reed strings together a series of time periods that tell a narrative of Black experiences in the United States, from the earliest recorded Black people to set foot on the continent through her own childhood during school integration, with the lens narrowed specifically to focus on Texas. All of this then circles back to the events of June 19, 1865, in Galveston, Texas, for which the past and future provide a prism that adds a depth of understanding and reflection. Gordon-Reed seamlessly weaves together history, memoir, and personal musings to create a book that is both narrowly focused and also wide-ranging.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: For the Love of Men and You're Not Listening
Five years ago I was reading: Furiously Happy, East of Eden, The Whole Life Adoption Book, and The Return of the King
Ten years ago I was reading: Mockingjay

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment