Monday, June 21, 2021

Ten Bookish Wishes for My Kids


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

This week we're sharing our wish lists of books we'd like to own, and maybe granting a wish or two for someone else! If you've been around here long, you know that I am very limited in the books that I want to physically own for myself, but I love filling up the bookshelf for my kids. The books here have been on my PaperBackSwap wish list for some time — which is my main way of getting kids' books — and so I'm adding them to an Amazon wish list where you can send one to my kids if you feel inclined! Here's what's on the list and why.
1. The Black Book of Colors by Menena Cottin
This one has become a modern classic, and I haven't yet had the chance to read it! My older son, though he isn't blind, is colorblind, so I like the idea of colors being described in ways other than sight.
2. A Child of Books by Oliver Jeffers
This book is a celebration of the magic of books! I've tried to instill a love of books by reading to my kids from the time we brought them home, but now our 6-year-old can read, though we've yet to reach the point of getting him to pick up books on his own. I look forward to that day when he discovers the magic of getting lost in a story all by himself.
3. Dear Boy, by Paris Rosenthal and Jason B. Rosenthal
My two kids are, as far as I know, both boys, and this book is intended to counteract the cultural gender messages they will receive by giving advice specifically for them. I want them to feel encouraged to show their full range of emotions and befriend people of all genders, among other things, and this book is one way to keep that conversation open.
4. The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes by Mark Pett and Gary Rubinstein
Despite having both a home and a school that preach a growth mindset, our older son struggles with perfectionism. This book is specifically meant to show why making mistakes is important to living a full life, which is a great message!
5. Introducing Teddy by Jessica Walton
We have in our collection a book about a transgender boy (When Aiden Became a Brother), and this one is about a transgender girl — er, bear. I appreciate books that tackle topics like gender in kid-friendly, accessible ways!
6. Jesus Showed Us! by Bradley Jersak
Our 6-year-old attends a Catholic school and we — at least pre-pandemic — attended the adjoining church, so I'm open to my kids having books that expand on their understanding of God, but there are a lot of awful choices out there! This one is supposed to be much more progressive, centering the idea that we know God through the way Jesus loved and served others. (By the way, I'm very excited for my pre-ordered copy of the late Rachel Held Evans' book, What Is God Like?, to arrive!)
7. Juneteenth for Mazie by Floyd Cooper
Clearly I didn't get this one in time for this year's Juneteenth observation, but it's still important to me that I include a book about this holiday in our collection. I think Something Happened in Our Town is the only one we've read together that directly addresses slavery, and this one is also aimed at educating kids about that history in an age-appropriate way.
8. Just Ask! by Sonia Sotomayor
A while back I read I Am Sonia Sotomayor with my older son, but I don't remember how much her diabetes came up in that book. In this picture book, she's highlighting how people have a wide variety of abilities and conditions that shape their life experiences.
9. Neither by Airlie Anderson
I appreciate the many recent picture books that include representations of transgender girls and boys, but it's important that kids understand that some people don't fit the gender binary! We have one book, My Maddy, that is about a non-binary adult, but this one uses metaphor to explain the broader concept of the gender binary and how not everyone fits.
10. What Should Danny Do? by Ganit & Adir Levy
This book was recommended by a friend who also has a high-spirited, impulsive kid like our older one. Using a choose-your-own-adventure type format, this one explores how kids have the power to make choices about their actions — and those choices have consequences!

What's on your wish list?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Darius the Great Is Not Okay and The End of Policing
Five years ago I was reading: Furiously Happy, East of Eden, and The Return of the King
Ten years ago I was reading: Water from the Well

9 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun books. Hope your wishes come true. My Bookish Wish

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Black Book of Colours sounds so cool!

    My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-bookish-wishes/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have a couple books on your list about gender. As my kids are older (13 & 19), I didn't realize it was a topic being discussed in early readers. I may have to pick up them up for myself. Thank you!

    Here's my post: https://readbakecreate.com/?p=426

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG i love the way you did this! Happy Reading: https://momsbookcollection.wordpress.com/2021/06/22/%f0%9f%8c%bbtop-ten-tuesday%e2%98%95%ef%b8%8f-ten-books-id-love-to-own/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice list! I love picture books and books for kids', so thanks for sharing these.

    Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! Hope some of your wishes come true! Happy reading! Can you request your library to pick up any of these books? My library is usually willing. Might be another option. My post is: https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2021/06/top-ten-tuesday-bookish-wishes.html
    I also have a giveaway going so be sure and stick around and check it out :)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to love to collect picture books for my kids as well. My youngest is now 12, so I recently went through the collection and purged a good 80% of it. I only kept the most beloved books that we all enjoyed most. It was tough, but hopefully, the ones we got rid of will find great new homes and continue to be loved by children.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww that's lovely to do one for your kids! I hope your wishes for them are granted :)
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2021/06/22/top-ten-tuesday-321/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some lovely kids books on this list. Here's mine: https://wordywitterings.com/2021/06/21/top-ten-tuesday-my-bookish-wishlist/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

    ReplyDelete