Monday, May 31, 2021

Best of the Bunch (May 2021)

Best of the Bunch header

Today I'm sharing the best book I read in May.

Of the 11 books I read this month, I didn't have any 5-star or 4.5-star reads! I did, however, have eight 4-star reads; several of these were chapter books I read to my son, so I'm going to choose from the remaining ones:

Kate in Waiting by Becky Albertalli

Fun Home by Alison Bechdel

The Galaxy, and the Ground Within by Becky Chambers

Abuelita Faith by Kat Armas

As evidenced by the 4-star ratings, I enjoyed all of these but didn't end any of them wanting to go out and recommend it to everyone. Of these options, I'll pick the one I'd be most comfortable recommending widely as my Best of the Bunch.


Kate in Waiting was sweet, if hella predictable. It's a romance, but it's also a celebration of friendship, though with an exploration of how romantic relationships can sometimes strain those friendships. This book had the hallmarks of what I love about Albertalli's books: First, genuine diversity that isn't self-congratulatory, and second, a reminder of the best parts of high school — in this case, being part of a theater production. This wasn't quite as good as some of my favorites of Albertalli's books, but it was still an enjoyable read and she remains one of my favorite authors.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: The Book of Longings and Team of Rivals
Five years ago I was reading: The Husband's Secret, Man's Search for Meaning, and The Two Towers
Ten years ago I was reading: Confessions of a Counterfeit Farm Girl

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment