Saturday, April 15, 2023

What I've Been Reading Lately (Quick Lit)

Today I'm linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy's Quick Lit to bring you some short and sweet reviews of what I've read in the past month. For longer reviews, you can always find me on Goodreads.

It was an unusually light reading month for me! I had a lot of travel as well as a lot of illness, both of which cut into my reading. I'm close to finishing my current audiobook, though!

Sparkling Cyanide by Agatha Christie: I'd call this one a classic Christie. The solution is surprising and not surprising and involves elements that are somewhat but not overly farfetched. Overall it was an enjoyable read and one of those I think anyone could pick up to get a good sense of Christie's style.

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell: I'm pretty sure that Rainbow Rowell and I have vastly different ideas about what a healthy romantic relationship looks like. Aside from that piece, I liked this book a lot and it prompted me to want to read Carry On.

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper: This was definitely a different experience rereading this, since one of my main praises of the book is that it doesn't go in the direction you might expect. The switching of verb tenses bothered me more in the print version compared to the audio, but I still think it's a fantastic book and I'm glad my book club picked it for our next discussion.

When Pigmen Fly by Cara J. Stevens and Mitchell Creeden: Stevens tries to do a lot with this last book, which works about as convincingly as anything else in the past few books. I don't have strong feelings about this book one way or another, but I am glad this series provided a connection point for me and my 8-year-old.

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: SLAY, Not Your Backup, and Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World
Five years ago I was reading: Bird by Bird, A Soldier of the Great War, and America's Public Schools
Ten years ago I was reading: American Voices of World War I and Moby-Dick

No comments:

Post a Comment