Monday, August 1, 2022

Ten Books Set in a Place I'd Love to Visit


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

This week's topic is books set in a place we'd love to visit. I decided this is different than bookish settings I'd love to visit, where a specific book makes me want to visit a place; in this case, I listed ten places I want to visit and paired them with books I've read set there. Some of these are places I've been before and want to return to, and some are places I have never been to but would like to.
1. Australia: The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough
I have never been to Australia, but I'm interested to visit someday!
2. Canada: The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery
I've been to a couple of spots in British Columbia briefly and on the other side of the Niagara Falls, but otherwise I've never made a proper visit to Canada. I have some friends in BC I'd love to visit, and it would also be great to try out my French skills in Quebec!
3. France: The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
I spent a week in Paris in college, but I'd like to see more of France, plus people in Paris tended to speak English to me when I tried to speak French. I have a friend living in Paris now, though, so I'd be happy to go back there as well!
4. Ireland: One Hundred Names by Cecilia Ahern
I spent a week touring Ireland with my family in 2010, but I had mono and spent a lot of time sleeping on the tour bus. I enjoyed the trip and would love to go back with the ability to walk around more!
5. Italy: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
I was supposed to go on a trip to Sicily (where my grandmother was born) with my family in 2020, which was rescheduled for obvious reasons, and when it finally happened this summer I wasn't able to take the time off work to go. I'd still like to visit someday.
6. Japan: After Dark by Haruki Murakami
My dad lived in Tokyo for work for a year and a half and we went to visit him for a week. I really liked a lot about the city and would love to go back.
7. Massachusetts: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
I've been a lot of places in the United States, but never anywhere in New England. Boston feels like a place I should have been by now, and I have a friend in Cambridge I could visit.
8. New Zealand: A Madness of Sunshine by Nalini Singh
I had a wonderful time visiting New Zealand four years ago for the wedding of some friends who live there. I definitely want to go back and see them again, especially now that they have a child!
9. Vermont: The Secret History by Donna Tartt
Another place in New England I haven't been where one of my friends now lives!
10. Wales: Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
I had Wales on my list because I wanted to see the Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff, but I didn't realize until now that it was only there from 2012 to 2017. It's not clear if the museum will be rehoused somewhere else at this point, but if it is, that's where I'd like to visit!

What places would you like to visit?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: The Thursday Murder Club, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and The Homecoming of Samuel Lake
Five years ago I was reading: Infinite Jest, Faithful Place, and Crime and Punishment
Ten years ago I was reading: The Grapes of Wrath

No comments:

Post a Comment