Monday, August 15, 2022

What I've Been Reading Lately (Quick Lit)

Today I'm linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy's Quick Lit to bring you some short and sweet reviews of what I've read in the past month. For longer reviews, you can always find me on Goodreads.

The Witness for the Prosecution and Other Stories by Agatha Christie: Most of the stories in this collection don't follow the typical mystery format. Some might be classified more as thrillers, others as stories of the paranormal. I'd recommend this collection more for the atmosphere than anything else, if you're in the mood to read about eerie happenings and narrow escapes from death.

The Dance of the Dissident Daughter: A Woman's Journey from Christian Tradition to the Sacred Feminine by Sue Monk Kidd: I can understand why this book has been powerful for so many women over the decades since it was published. That said, coming to this book as a Christian feminist in 2022 who did not grow up in a conservative church, there wasn't a lot that was new or startling to me, and a few parts haven't aged well.

Tomorrow Will Be Different: Love, Loss, and the Fight for Trans Equality by Sarah McBride: This is an excellent memoir by an amazing woman. McBride details both the intimate moments of her life and those on a larger, political stage, striking a nice balance between acknowledging the progress that has been made and facing the progress yet to be made in our country.

Gender Queer: A Memoir by Maia Kobabe: I enjoyed this just as much on reread, and the members of my queer book club each found some different piece that resonated with them. I'd say it's valuable as both a window and a mirror.

The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn: This thriller definitely has a lot of suspenseful moments and creepy happenings, which made an immersive read once I got through the incredibly slow beginning.

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory by Caitlin Doughty: This was a fascinating and worthwhile read, narrated in an engaging and entertaining way by the author on audiobook. Whether the idea of death terrifies you or fascinates you, I think this book is worth the read.

A Hole in the World: Finding Hope in Rituals of Grief and Healing by Amanda Held Opelt: I picked this up mainly because Opelt is Rachel Held Evans' sister, though I found that she hews much more closely to traditional American Protestantism than RHE did. Each chapter looks at a different ritual around grief and mourning, from covering mirrors to wearing black, and intersperses historical detail with Opelt's own lived experiences of loss.

Rabbits by Terry Miles: This book was a wild ride! I'd recommend it for anyone who likes fast-paced sci-fi thrillers and doesn't mind investing a lot of hours in a read. There were definitely world-building elements that weren't fully explained, but for the most part I could follow along as things got increasingly complex.

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Weapons of Math Destruction, The Buried Bones Mystery, Womanist Midrash, and Nothing to See Here
Five years ago I was reading: Infinite Jest and Bel Canto
Ten years ago I was reading: Nudge

No comments:

Post a Comment