Sunday, July 31, 2022

Best of the Bunch (July 2022)

Best of the Bunch header

Today I'm sharing the best book I read in July.

Of the 9 books I read this month, I had a whopping four 5-star reads!

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

How to Talk When Kids Won't Listen: Whining, Fighting, Meltdowns, Defiance, and Other Challenges of Childhood by Joanna Faber and Julie King

Tomorrow Will Be Different: Love, Loss, and the Fight for Trans Equality by Sarah McBride:

Gender Queer: A Memoir by Maia Kobabe

I'll eliminate the two rereads (Little Fires Everywhere and Gender Queer) to narrow it down. And since the How to Talk book is more of a follow-up to the authors' first book, I'll choose the other as my Best of the Bunch!
Tomorrow Will Be Different is an excellent memoir by an amazing woman. McBride details both the intimate moments of her life and those on a larger, political stage. Throughout her story, she manages to weave in both a kind of Trans 101 education for readers and also frequent acknowledgements of the privilege she holds as a white, well-connected, "passing" trans woman. This book came out in 2018, and I think McBride strikes a nice balance between acknowledging the progress that has been made and facing the progress yet to be made in our country. I'm glad she was elected a state senator in 2020, and I don't think that's the last we'll see of her on the national political stage.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: The Thursday Murder Club, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and The Homecoming of Samuel Lake
Five years ago I was reading: Infinite Jest, Faithful Place, and Crime and Punishment
Ten years ago I was reading: The Grapes of Wrath

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment