Sunday, February 28, 2021

Best of the Bunch (February 2021)

Best of the Bunch header

Today I'm sharing the best book I read in February.

It was a very good reading month! Of the 14 books I read this month, I had four 5-star reads:

Listen: Five Simple Tools to Meet Your Everyday Parenting Challenges by Patty Wipfler and Tosha Schore

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

Hidden Valley Road: Inside the Mind of an American Family by Robert Kolker

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers

So many good books! Although I absolutely loved The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet, I'm going to go with the one that had a tangible impact on my everyday life.


In Listen, Wipfler and Schore have boiled down the best parts of other parenting books I've read into their most practical, directly applicable parts and explained exactly what to do to help your child feel safe, connected, and able to release their emotions in a healthy way without having to psychoanalyze their actions. They also include an entire section of stories from real parents using the tools, which is always the best part of any parenting book, in my opinion. Incorporating the tools in this book meant I wasn't lying awake each night dreading the transitions to and from school each day, and the entire atmosphere in our family changed to one that was more relaxed and connected. I will say that the book is quite heteronormative and also makes assumptions about the reader's physical abilities, but I still think it's well worth the read for any parent.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Dreams from My Father and Let's Talk About Love
Five years ago I was reading: Watchmen, Dear Mister Rogers, Does It Ever Rain in Your Neighborhood?, The Book of Mormon, and Tell the Wolves I'm Home
Ten years ago I was reading: Water for Elephants

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment