Friday, November 29, 2019

Best of the Bunch: November 2019


Today I'm sharing the best book I read in November.

Of the 5 books I read this month, I had one 5-star read. That's my Best of the Bunch for this month!


I had heard of Whistling Vivaldi for years, and I had heard of "stereotype threat," but I didn't realize that this book was an in-depth look at that phenomenon by one of its foremost researchers. I appreciated the careful way that Steele pulled apart what stereotype threat is and is not and showed the exact way that that was pinpointed through various research studies. I found both the study designs and the results fascinating. Steele also uses his research and that of his colleagues to explore ways that stereotype threat can be reduced. I think this book is a valuable complement to reading about bias and privilege, which are related but distinct concepts. We can't ignore the realities of both conscious and unconscious bias, but understanding stereotype threat and the ways to combat it can help provide additional tools for creating a more inclusive and equitable world.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: An Absolutely Remarkable Thing and Crazy Rich Asians
Five years ago I was reading: We Are Water, Dreams of Joy, and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Ten years ago I was reading: What the Dog Saw and Other Adventures

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment