Monday, November 4, 2019

Ten Gothic Reads for Autumn


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

This week, we're talking about books that give us autumn vibes. As the leaves fall and the wind sweeps a chill through the air, a lot of people turn to Gothic novels, both classic and modern. It's a good time of year to get in the spirit of reading about old, echoing mansions, mysterious things happening in the woods or the attic, rain beating against the windowpanes, and the shadows lurking around corners. Here are the ten of the most well-known ones that I've read. (You'll notice some overlap with my recommendations for rainy day reads.)


1. Dracula by Bram Stoker


2. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley


3. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë


4. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde


5. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier


6. The Secret History by Donna Tartt


7. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson


8. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield


9. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins


10. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

What novels would you recommend for this time of year?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Stride Toward Freedom and March: Book Three
Five years ago I was reading: Pastrix, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, and Cordelia's Honor
Ten years ago I was reading: Driver's Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment