Monday, March 18, 2019

Top Ten Books on My Spring TBR


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

I managed to read everything on my winter TBR, so it's time for a fresh list for spring! I'm starting a new job this week so I'm not sure how that's going to affect the time I have to read, but I'm going to be optimistic. Here's what I hope to get through in the next three months.


1. 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff
This one is recommended again and again as a classic for book lovers, and at under 100 pages, I have no excuse not to read it already.


2. Educated by Tara Westover
This was on every best-of list for 2018, and my audiobook hold should finally be coming through in another month or so. I'm looking forward to finally getting on the bandwagon!


3. Maybe You Should Talk to Someone by Lori Gottlieb
I don't remember now where I originally heard about this one, but I have a hold on the library copy of the ebook when it comes out in April. Through Gottlieb's professional experience as a therapist and personal experience going to her own therapist, this book promises to explore the process of therapy and what makes it worthwhile.


4. Sadie by Courtney Summers
My sister recommended this book to me — specifically, the audiobook — and since one of my goals for the year is to read something she recommends, I put a hold on it right away! She said there are sections of the book that are intended to be podcasts, which really sound like podcasts on the audio version.


5. Silent Spring by Rachel Carson
This is a classic that has been on my TBR for a while, and this seems like an appropriate time of year to read it. I've been trying to read more nonfiction by women that aren't just memoirs, which is why I originally added this to my TBR.


6. The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis
I'm still working my way through my buddy read of the Chronicles of Narnia, and I've just started The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I hope to get to this one by the end of April!


7. There's Something About Sweetie by Sandhya Menon
I've loved Menon's previous two books, so of course I have a hold on her next book for when it comes out in May.


8. The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson
This has been on my TBR for some time and I've been hearing it referenced quite a bit lately! I'm looking forward to finally diving in to get the full story of the Great Migration.


9. We Wish to Inform You that Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families by Philip Gourevitch
I've read two different memoirs from survivors of the Rwandan genocide, but I think it will be helpful to read this award-winning journalistic account of the tragedy to get a broader viewpoint.


10. When Broken Glass Floats by Chanrithy Him
My local book club picked "Oregon Book Award winners" as the theme for April, and I chose to nominate this one, which was selected. I have not yet read anything about the Khmer Rouge regime, so I am glad to have the chance to read Him's own story.

What will you be reading this spring?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Broken Harbor and Queen of Sorcery
Five years ago I was reading: Wolf Hall, The Body & Society, and War and Peace
Ten years ago I was reading: Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing

No comments:

Post a Comment