Monday, January 7, 2019

Top Ten Bookish Goals for 2019


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

Since there's no goals topic this year, I'm stealing this week to talk about my 2019 reading goals. (Also, I have no idea what's being published in 2019!) In case you missed it, here's how I did with my 2018 goals. Wish me luck on my goals for 2019!

1. Read the whole Chronicles of Narnia series.
As previously mentioned, I already have plans to do a buddy read of this series with a friend this year. I've read the first two books (publication order) before, but I have not read the rest of them. Now is the time!

2. Reread the Malloreon series on audiobook.
I tried getting through both the Belgariad and Malloreon last year, but I only made it through the Belgariad. The Malloreon was always my favorite of the two series, so I'm looking forward to revisiting it.

3. Read some of the unread books on our bookshelf.
This is a continuation of last year's goal, since I didn't do terribly well. There aren't that many, so I should be able to get through them if I try!

4. Get roughly 50% of my 2019 reads from my TBR list and 50% from elsewhere.
I'm going to attempt this again this year even though I didn't succeed last year because having the goal is still helpful in pushing me to get through the books on my original TBR list, which I capped a few years ago. One of my book clubs recently switched from monthly to every other month, so that will help with the number of non-TBR books I "have to" read.

5. Read at least three books published in 2019.
I like this goal because it gives me permission to pick up new releases that sound interesting, and a lot of my favorite reads from last year were new releases. Also, I hate getting to the annual Goodreads Awards and not having read anything on there.

6. Read at least five books on my "shelf of shame."
I created a tag on Goodreads to mark those books that I really should have read by now, the ones I see pop up again and again. There weren't nearly as many as I expected, and now it feels more manageable to start tackling them intentionally. These include Redwall, King Lear, A Room with a View, and Little Fires Everywhere.

7. Read Harry Potter à l'école des sorciers.
My husband borrowed the French version of the first Harry Potter book from someone for me and I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I've been wanting to listen to Harry Potter and the Sacred Text, so I thought it might be cool to listen to each podcast episode after I finish reading the corresponding chapter in French, as an incentive to get through it.

8. Read a few books that are the first in a series.
I have a tendency to put off books on my TBR if they're the start of a series, because what if I like them and then have to put everything else on hold to read the next eight books? But last year I finally read The Raven Boys and loved it and did not mind devoting the time to reading the rest of the series. Goal #4 be damned, I'm going to take the chance this year on some series.

9. Get caught up with the Dublin Murder Squad.
Speaking of series, I was happy to finally get to The Secret Place last year, only to find that Tana French had released The Witch Elm and I was now two books behind again. I hope to read both The Trespasser and The Witch Elm before the year's end.

10. Read something my sister recommends.
I've enjoyed this annual tradition, so I'm going to ask my sister for a recommendation again this year. Hopefully she can find me something that's less creepy than her last three picks...

What are your bookish goals for 2019?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Peter Pan and After Dark
Five years ago I was reading: The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao and War and Peace
Ten years ago I was reading: Copyediting

No comments:

Post a Comment