Monday, January 28, 2019

The Ten Most Recent Additions to My To-Read List


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

As I've mentioned a few times previously, I froze my to-read list on Goodreads and have since then been throwing everything marginally interesting into a "might-want-to-read" list. That list just hit 1100 books. Here are the ten most recent books added to the list.


1. The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton
I went to this year's PodCon (which was a blast!) and there was a bibliophiles meetup where we discussed our favorite books and bookish podcasts. Someone mentioned enjoying this book and a few of thought we'd heard of it and then realized we were thinking of The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo! This one sounded like a mash-up of Life After Life and Every Day, except as a kind of murder mystery.


2. Daughter of Moloka'i by Alan Brennert
I didn't even know Brennert was working on a sequel to Moloka'i, which I read a little over a year ago and really enjoyed. I saw a post on the Silent Book Club Facebook page and added this book to my list!


3. The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey
This was mentioned on the most recent episode of What Should I Read Next, and I have been trying to branch out to read detective stories outside the detectives I already know and love (Hercule Poirot, Sherlock Holmes, Cormoran Strike...). The plot sounds a bit Poirot-ish in that the central detective is solving a historical mystery from the confines of his hospital room.


4. The Disasters by M.K. England
This one got a 5-star review from someone I follow on Goodreads, so I added it to my list. It's supposed to be a funny, fast-paced YA adventure story with a diverse cast of characters, all of which sounds great to me.


5. The Mulberry Bird by Anne Braff Brodzinsky
I'm in a Facebook group for adoptive parents and there was recently a thread about our favorite adoption-related books. This was the only one recommended that I hadn't heard of before, so I put it on my list.


6. My Own Words by Ruth Bader Ginsburg
On a recent episode of the Get Booked podcast, someone wrote in asking for recommendations to learn more about Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and her autobiography was recommended. It sounded like something I would enjoy reading.



7. Notorious RBG by Irin Carmon & Shana Knizhnik
This was the other recommendation for the Get Booked question about Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and it sounded equally good!


8. Two Old Women by Velma Wallis
This is one that's been mentioned on Get Booked several times, but I had never added it to my list, and then a Goodreads friend posted a review of it and that prompted me to finally put it on my list.


9. What We Owe by Golnaz Hashemzadeh Bonde
I honestly don't know how this one ended up on my list. Maybe it was on a blog post I read? However I heard about it, it sounded good enough to add to my list.


10. You Let Me In by Lucy Clarke
Someone I follow on Goodreads rated this highly, and I feel like I don't read enough thrillers despite typically enjoying them. This one doesn't have a lot of ratings yet, so I figured I'd add it and see if the ratings are still as high once more people have had a chance to read it.

What have you recently added to your TBR list?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Strangers in Their Own Land and The Stand
Five years ago I was reading: The Marriage Plot and War and Peace
Ten years ago I was reading: Copyediting

No comments:

Post a Comment