Friday, June 30, 2023

Best of the Bunch (June 2023)

Best of the Bunch header

Today I'm sharing the best book I read in June.

I had a great reading month! Of the 10 books I read this month, I had two 5-star reads (also two 4.5-star reads!). These are my 5-star reads:

Imogen, Obviously by Becky Albertalli

I Won't Shut Up: Finding Your Voice When the World Tries to Silence You by Ally Henny

This is a hard choice! I'm going to go with the one that I haven't been able to stop recommending to people since I read it at the beginning of the month.

I absolutely loved this. By now, we've seen plenty of stories of people coming out after being closeted for years, and we've heard the stories of people who didn't know they were queer until later in life because they grew up in a time where there weren't a lot of out queer people. But I hadn't seen this story of coming out to oneself late, not because of a lack of queer models but because of an abundance of them and the narrative "this is what it looks like to be queer." There's a lot of important and nuanced queer community discourse that happens within this book, which was pretty obviously Albertalli clapping back at the people who forced her out of the closet because "straight writers shouldn't be writing queer romances," but I felt like it was well done. Albertalli writes adorable romances, but also beautiful depictions of friendship, family, and identity exploration. I'm so glad this book exists.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Little Fires Everywhere, How to Talk When Kids Won't Listen, and Wayside School Is Falling Down
Five years ago I was reading: The Orphan Master's Son and Eragon
Ten years ago I was reading: The Casual Vacancy, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, and Thinking, Fast and Slow

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment