Monday, January 23, 2023

Ten New-to-Me Authors I Discovered in 2022


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

This week's topic is authors we read for the first time in 2022. Here are ten of mine!
1. Caitlin Doughty
I had heard of Doughty's Order of the Good Death for several years now, but I finally read her Smoke Gets in Your Eyes & Other Lessons from the Crematory last year. It was both funny and informative, and she did a great job narrating the book on audio. I'd definitely be interested in reading one of her other books.
2. Holly Jackson
It took me until last year to finally pick up A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, and I liked it so much more than I expected! I ended up reading and enjoying the whole trilogy. Jackson's very talented at intricately plotted mystery/thrillers as well as realistic characters.
3. Anita Kelly
I read and enjoyed Kelly's debut novella, Sing Anyway, and somehow they've managed to publish three more books in 2021 and 2022 and have another one coming out this year!
4. C.B. Lee
In 2022 I read the three books that are out so far in the Sidekick Squad series. Admittedly, Lee's plotting and world-building is a little shaky, but her characters and their relationships are so endearing that I've still enjoyed reading each of these stories.
5. Gretchen McCulloch
I don't actually think McCulloch has written any books other than Because Internet, but she has a column, a blog, and a podcast, none of which I was familiar with before reading her completely delightful guide to the history of language on the Internet.
6. Brittney Morris
I wouldn't have picked up Morris' SLAY if it hadn't been selected for one of my book clubs, but I'm very glad I did! I love YA authors who are writing books that take a completely different path from the usual YA storylines and tropes, and I've recommended this book to a bunch of people since reading it last year.
7. Emily Nagoski
To be fair, I read both Emily Nagoski and her sister Amelia Nagoski for the first time in 2022 when I read Burnout, but Emily Nagoski is the more prolific author whom I'd listed earlier in 2022 as one of the authors I still hadn't read despite having more than one of their books on my to-read list. This book, at least, was worth the hype!
8. Alice Oseman
How is it possible that I hadn't read any Oseman until 2022? I read all the Heartstopper books and have now read most of the books in the Osemanverse. With the exception of her debut, Solitaire, which I thought was terrible, all of her books are fantastic and I plan to continue until I've read them all!
9. Ngozi Ukazu
After hearing about Ukazu's Check, Please! series on multiple occasions, I finally picked it up in 2022, and it was such fun! I thought the second volume, with the main character's junior and senior years of college, was stronger, so I recommend reading the books straight through to get the full story.
10. Maryrose Wood
I was so glad I found out about the Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place series at the beginning of 2022, because the six audiobooks of this middle grade series carried me through a couple of very rough months of my life.

Which of these authors have you read?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Here's to Us and The Unseen Guest
Five years ago I was reading: Strangers in Their Own Land and The Stand
Ten years ago I was reading: The Night Circus and You Can Adopt

No comments:

Post a Comment