Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Best of the Bunch (January 2023)

Best of the Bunch header

Today I'm sharing the best book I read in January.

It was a decent reading month. Of the 11 books I read this month, I had only one 5-star read, so that's my Best of the Bunch, but I want to give a shoutout to my one 4.5-star read, Ophelia After All, which I found to be unexpectedly lovely despite the heavy dose of teen angst and drama.

Sex Is a Funny Word was the perfect book for my 8-year-old. Silverberg is an absolute master at talking about things in the most straightforward, age-appropriate way, just as they did in What Makes a Baby. I appreciated that not only does this book include the right level of detail about things like bodies, touching, and relationships, but it spends time addressing the fact that different families and communities have different rules about things like what parts of your body need to be covered when and what topics are OK to talk about at what times. I think this book has the exact right amount of information that kids 8-10 need about their bodies and sexuality, and I'm so grateful it exists, and I look forward to reading You Know, Sex (for ages 10+) with my kid in a few years.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Rising from Ash and The Interrupted Tale
Five years ago I was reading: Strangers in Their Own Land and The Stand
Ten years ago I was reading: Nothing

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment