Saturday, April 30, 2022

Best of the Bunch (April 2022)

Best of the Bunch header

Today I'm sharing the best book I read in April.

It was a great reading month! Of the 10 books I read this month, I had four 5-star reads.

Heartstopper: Volume Two by Alice Oseman

Because Internet: Understanding the New Rules of Language by Gretchen McCulloch

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson

Heartstopper: Volume Three by Alice Oseman

The first volume of Heartstopper was my March favorite! Of the remaining two, I really enjoyed both of them, but I'll go with the one that was the most fun and interesting for me!
Because Internet was so much fun! McCulloch herself narrates the audiobook (which, I appreciated, had been carefully adjusted for the format) and does so with a tone of sheer delight throughout the entire text. I loved that she'd attempted to dig up the origins of everything from "lol" to emoji to older folks' tendency to separate sentences with ellipses. She deftly separates that which is unique to the internet and that which existed pre-internet and has simply found new expression in new technology. I learned a ton and laughed out loud many times, which for me makes this a top-notch nonfiction pick. Even if you're not a data or communication nerd like me, if you use the internet you will probably find something new and interesting in this book.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Kate in Waiting and Freddie Ramos Adds It All Up
Five years ago I was reading: Kindred and The Name of the Rose
Ten years ago I was reading: The Family Fang

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment