Thursday, September 30, 2021

Best of the Bunch (September 2021)

Best of the Bunch header

Today I'm sharing the best book I read in September.

Of the 14 books I read this month, I had two 5-star reads:

Womanist Midrash by Wilda C. Gafney

A Psalm for the Wild-Built by Becky Chambers

They were both excellent, but I think Dr. Gafney's book probably has a narrower appeal, so I'll make the other my Best of the Bunch!
A Psalm for the Wild-Built was just lovely. Chambers has written a book for this moment, for those who have been burnt out by the pandemic or by late-stage capitalism, who need permission to try something new or to just sit with a cup of tea for a bit without accomplishing anything. Our protagonist, an agender monk named Sibling Dex, heads off into the wilderness with a feeling of restlessness they feel guilty about because they have everything they could ever want. But I don't think you have to have a life of privilege to resonate with Sibling Dex. Anyone who's experiencing burnout from 18 months of pandemic life and yet tries to keep telling themself "At least I have [my health / a job / my kids / etc]; I should be grateful" will understand Chambers' message here. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr. and Girls with Sharp Sticks
Five years ago I was reading: All Creatures Great and Small, Adoption Parenting, and The Guns of August
Ten years ago I was reading: Global Wording

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment