Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Best of the Bunch (March 2021)

Best of the Bunch header

Today I'm sharing the best book I read in March.

Of the 10 books I read this month, I had two 5-star reads:

How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi

The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Bessel van der Kolk

Both are frequently recommended for a reason, but I'm going to go with the one I would recommend the most broadly as my Best of the Bunch!


I know I'm late to the party here, but How to Be an Antiracist deserves all the hype it's received. Kendi has packed an immense amount of valuable material into only a few hundred pages, and he's made it both readable and relevant to a wide variety of readers. Perhaps most importantly, Kendi isn't just remixing and repackaging other works on racism. In some cases, he directly challenges popular antiracist narratives and pushes back against using imprecise phrases like "institutional racism." He isn't just addressing white people, and he isn't wasting time assuming how the reader is feeling about what he's sharing and trying to talk them through that. He lays out facts in the clearest way possible, provides evidence for what does and doesn't work for making a difference, and zeroes in on where people should direct their time and energy. I will join the chorus of voices highly recommending this book.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: The Sea of Tranquility, The Left Hand of Darkness, V for Vendetta, and Paradise Lost
Five years ago I was reading: Under the Banner of Heaven, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, and A People's History of the United States
Ten years ago I was reading: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment