Thursday, October 15, 2020

What I've Been Reading Lately (Quick Lit)


Today I'm linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy's Quick Lit to bring you some short and sweet reviews of what I've read in the past month. For longer reviews, you can always find me on Goodreads.

Looking for Mr. Goodbar by Judith Rossner: I didn't enjoy this, both because of the premise (psychological wounds from childhood are the only explanation for why a women would regularly seek out casual sex, though it's bound to end in tragedy!) and because the main character, Theresa, was hard to relate to. It's a shame, since Rossner is actually quite a good writer. She just chose to use her talents to write a story making it seem like a real-life person was to blame for her own murder because she liked casual sex.

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier: This was as good as I remembered, and I think there were even more elements that I caught this time, reading as an adult and listening to it as an audiobook. I greatly enjoyed this version narrated by Anna Massey, and I would highly recommend this read!

Girls with Sharp Sticks by Suzanne Young: This fictional representation of patriarchy taken to extremes was creepy and tense. The author worked in a multitude of different ways that society seeks to control women: their bodies, their attitudes, their roles. The plot was mostly unpredictable, but the plot twists (or "reveals") were highly predictable, which was a big disappointing.

The Autobiography of Martin Luther King, Jr. by Martin Luther King, Jr.: It definitely took a while to get through this, but I appreciated the chance to read about MLK's life start to finish in one book. This is an investment of time, for sure, but it's a worthwhile one if you want to get a thorough account of King's life and legacy.

The Tuesday Club Murders by Agatha Christie: The second Miss Marple book is a collection of short mysteries, which I liked more than the Poirot collections, but I'm still not a big fan of Miss Marple generally. I liked the setup for this book but dislike when solutions rely on knowledge of things like what poisonous substance people used as eye drops back in the 1930s. I'm not sold on Miss Marple yet, but I will continue with the series and see if her character develops beyond the caricature here.

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Possession, An Untamed State, and Whistling Vivaldi
Five years ago I was reading: The Other Wes Moore, A Snicker of Magic, and Death in the Andes
Ten years ago I was reading: Asking Questions

No comments:

Post a Comment