Monday, October 19, 2020

Ten More Books I Read on Recommendations


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

This week's topic is books we read because someone recommended them to us! I last did this topic in 2016, so here are some books I've read on recommendations since then!


1. The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery (recommended by Sian)
I'm pretty sure I got this recommendation from my friend Sian when everyone was doing that "ten books that made an impact on me" meme going around Facebook, and that I got the recommendation of Winter of Fire from her at the same time, which is another book I really enjoyed. I was familiar with Montgomery's work from Anne of Green Gables, of course, but probably wouldn't have picked this one up without Sian's recommendation.


2. Felix Ever After by Kacen Callender (recommended by Eli)
Eli enthusiastically recommended this one during a book club meeting, so I put a hold on it right away, and I thought it was great! YA can be hit-or-miss with me but I trust Eli's taste.


3. Friendship at the Margins by Christopher L. Heuertz (recommended by Heidi)
This was recommended to me a long time ago by the founder of LOVEboldly and it took me a few years to finally get around to reading it. It's both a gentle indictment of typical "mission" work and an exploration of the benefits and challenges of becoming friends with people whose life circumstances are vastly different than your own.


4. Greenglass House by Kate Milford (recommended by MacKenzie)
MacKenzie invited me to go hear Kate Milford speak at a local event, and I wasn't familiar with her, but MacKenzie and I share a love of The Mysterious Benedict Society so she knew I would love it too, and she was right! I finished the first book and was already partway through the sequel when we went to hear Milford speak.

5. The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (recommended by Morgan)
This was already on my to-read list when Morgan recommended it to me, so I bumped it up to the top of my list. Although it wasn't necessarily a favorite, there was a lot that I really liked about it, and Morgan and I then got to have a great discussion about the book once I finished!
6. A Kiss Before Dying by Ira Levin (recommended by 'Becca)
This is another recommendation that I got from one of 'Becca's Quick Lit posts. I then turned around and recommended it to some friends who were looking for a mystery on audio for a car trip!
7. A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara (recommended by Patrick)
I had heard about this book during the time it was getting lots of buzz, but I might not have picked it up if Patrick hadn't enthusiastically recommended it. Then I was glad to be able to discuss it with everyone else!
8. Sadie by Courtney Summers (recommended by Chelsea)
I enjoy getting annual book recommendations from my younger sister, and this one may be my favorite of the ones she's recommended. I recommended it to my book club this year for the month we were reading an Audie Award winner, and for some people it was their first ever audiobook but they really enjoyed it!
9. Untamed by Glennon Doyle (recommended by Sharon)
This is another one that was getting plenty of buzz but I didn't feel a strong pull to pick it up until Sharon started sending me passages and emphasizing how amazing it was. I think it was probably unusually relevant for Sharon's life at the time, but I still found it to be an enjoyable read!
10. You're Not Listening by Kate Murphy (recommended by Diana)
I found Diana via Quick Lit, I think, and then discovered via her blog that she was also an adoptive mom, and then discovered that we'd attended the same university! I like seeing her recommendations for both adult books and kid books since our sons aren't too far apart in age.

What books have you read because of a recommendation?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Possession, An Untamed State, and Whistling Vivaldi
Five years ago I was reading: The Other Wes Moore, A Snicker of Magic, and Death in the Andes
Ten years ago I was reading: Asking Questions

No comments:

Post a Comment