Monday, September 21, 2020

Top Ten Books on My Fall TBR


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

First, looking back: I successfully read all the books on my summer TBR list. Now here's what I plan to read this fall!


1. Ace by Angela Chen
This just came out last week and I'm excited to read it! I read a lot of LGBTQIA+ books, but I hadn't ever seen a comprehensive nonfiction work specifically on asexuality. The reviews I've seen so far are great.


2. Cinder by Marissa Meyer
This is one of the books on my original to-read list that I'm hoping to finally get to this fall.


3. A Fatal Grace by Louise Penny
Even though I was meh about the first Inspector Gamache book, I've heard the rest of the series gets better, so I plan to keep going with this second book.


4. Girls with Sharp Sticks by Suzanne Young
Every year I set a goal to read something my sister recommends, and this is what she suggested this year!


5. Sabriel by Garth Nix
This is a classic book I see recommended again and again but have never read. When I saw the audiobook was narrated by Tim Curry, though, I realized this would be a good one to count toward my goal of listening to classic books read by celebrities!


6. Strangers from a Different Shore by Ronald Takaki
This is another one from my original to-read list. After I watched the PBS series on Asian Americans this summer, I wanted to make this one a priority. I recommended that my library buy the audiobook, and just this past week they did!


7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
It's been years since I read this book, which I think I read for the first and only time in middle school, and since I keep writing on here about how I don't understand why it's held up as The Classic American Book, I figured I should revisit it. I got an audio version that's ready by Sissy Spacek as part of my goal to listen to classics narrated by celebrities!


8. Truth & Beauty by Ann Patchett
This is my local book club's selection for November/December, for the theme of "friendship."


9. The Tuesday Club Murders by Agatha Christie
Another 2020 goal was to start the Miss Marple books, which I did — I read the first one — but it took me a long time to get around to the second one because the list I had of all the books in publication order had this book under a different title and I couldn't find it. Now I should be getting my copy from the library soon!


10. The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett
This is my online book club's next pick. The holds list for every format at the library is months long, so I will probably end up using an audiobooks.com free trial for this one.

What do you plan to read this fall?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Possession, Misreading Scripture with Western Eyes, and Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Five years ago I was reading: The Maze Runner, Number the Stars, and Uncle Tom's Cabin
Ten years ago I was reading: You're Wearing That?

No comments:

Post a Comment