Monday, February 4, 2019

Ten 2019 Releases I Might Want to Read


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

A few weeks ago, the topic was 2019 books we were anticipating in the first half of the year, but I didn't have more than a couple on my might-want-to-read list at that point. Thanks to recommendations in the first month of the year, I now have just enough 2019 releases to make a top ten list!


1. Daughter of Moloka'i by Alan Brennert
I mentioned this one last week as a recent addition to my list. I liked the original Moloka'i enough to be interested in the sequel.


2. I Think You're Wrong (But I'm Listening) by Sarah Stewart Holland and Beth Silvers
In recent years I've been trying to figure out where the balance is between being open to those with more conservative viewpoints and not having to subject myself to opinions that are inherently prejudiced and offensive. Since the 2016 presidential election I've been listening to the Left, Right & Center podcast, which has been valuable for helping me understand multiple sides of current events in a way that's calm, coherent, and respectful. While I still don't want to seek out political arguments with people, this book seems like it could be helpful for understanding how to have conversations with others who have different beliefs but also genuinely want to learn.


3. Maybe You Should Talk to Someone by Lori Gottlieb
Through Gottlieb's professional experience as a therapist and personal experience going to her own therapist, this book promises to explore the process of therapy and what makes it worthwhile. It sounds fascinating!


4. Modern Kinship by David and Constantino Khalaf
I had the pleasure of getting to know these guys through Q Christian Fellowship (formerly the Gay Christian Network), where Constantino formerly worked, and I'm excited to read their first book, which grew out of the blog they run of the same name. There are plenty of Christian relationship books out there, but they're (unsurprisingly) written for straight couples. And LGBTQ dating guides don't tend to focus on faith! These guys decided to bridge the gap to provide guidance to same-gender couples wanting to build a God-centered relationship. Although I'm not the target audience, I know many people who are, and I would love to read this.


5. On the Come Up by Angie Thomas
This comes out tomorrow — yay! I've been on the pre-order holds list at my library for forever, since before the original publication date was delayed. Thomas is of course the author of the blockbuster The Hate U Give, and while I'm not going in with expectation that she'll hit it out of the park twice, I am still excited to read this.


6. Once Ghosted, Twice Shy by Alyssa Cole
I saw this pop up as a recommendation from two different people in short succession, and while I don't usually read romance, this one promises to be a sweet, fun novella. I read too much heavy stuff and need something sweet and uplifting every once in a while.


7. Survival Math by Mitchell S. Jackson
I'm aware that Oregon has a pretty racist history and we haven't collectively done a great job overcoming that yet. This book has been highly recommended from the advance reviews, and I'm very interested to read the memoir of a black man who grew up in Portland.


8. There's Something About Sweetie by Sandhya Menon
I read both of Menon's first two books in 2018, and I'm on board for more! She writes great books that combine romantic happy endings with powerful explorations of family, friendship, and identity. I am excited to read this one!


9. Thick by Tressie McMillan Cottom
I always have to remind myself that although I don't like short story collections, I do actually like essay collections, at least when they're done well. I've seen this book, which came out at the start of the year, recommended several times already.


10. Trailblazer by Dorothy Butler Gilliam
As a former journalism major and an avid nonfiction reader, I'm very interested to read this memoir from the first black female reporter at the Washington Post. Plus journalists tend to be great writers, which can make for great memoirs!

Have you read any of these? Which do you recommend?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and The Stand
Five years ago I was reading: The Steerswoman and War and Peace
Ten years ago I was reading: Copyediting

No comments:

Post a Comment