Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Best of the Bunch: February 2019


Today I'm sharing the best book I read in February.

Of the 12 books I read this month, I had three 5-star books:

Weird Parenting Wins: Bathtub Dining, Family Screams, and Other Hacks from the Parenting Trenches by Hillary Frank

Shameless: A Sexual Reformation by Nadia Bolz-Weber

On the Come Up by Angie Thomas

I loved all of these books for different reasons and they each speak to different audiences, so it's difficult to make a choice! I think I'll go with the one that spoke to me personally in the deepest way.


I have loved all of Nadia Bolz-Weber's books to date, and Shameless is no exception. What I love most about this "sexual reformation" is that, while she illustrates how many destructive ideas about sex originate in the church, she advocates for a sexual ethic that is not separate from the Christian faith but rather deeply informed by it. Drawing on Scripture, tradition, and liturgy, she advocates for an inclusive sexual ethic that mirrors our best spiritual experiences. As with her previous books, I couldn't put this down once I started and yet I regretted it ending so soon. I can't recommend her work highly enough.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and Better Than Before
Five years ago I was reading: The Omnivore's Dilemma and War and Peace
Ten years ago I was reading: The Color of Water

Inlinkz Link Party

No comments:

Post a Comment