Monday, September 23, 2024

Top Ten Books on My Fall TBR


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

It's time for planning another season of reading! I read everything on my Summer TBR list. Here are ten books I plan to read this fall. After going hard on queer love stories in the summer, I need a different mix of books in my life, so I have a split of fiction and nonfiction.
1. Black Buck by Mateo Askaripour
This is what my online book club is discussing in October. I am... not really a fan of satire, so I don't have super high hopes for this one, but maybe it will surprise me, and I'm sure it will be interesting to discuss!
2. Excuse Me, Sir! by Shaley Howard
Earlier this year I read an article by Howard and was reminded I'd seen her memoir around, as she's a local author. Not too long ago I had a lovely conversation with a friend who's also a more masc queer woman about our experiences getting comfortable with our preferred gender expressions, and I'm excited to see what Howard has to say about her own experience.
3. A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
Y'all, I still haven't read this book, despite it being on every list ever and being a movie and everything. This season is the time to finally check it out.
4. Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me) by Carol Tavris and Elliot Aronson
I love a good psychological deep dive! Yes, please explain to me all the weird ways my brain works and what I can do to be a better human in the world.
5. Monster by Walter Dean Myers
At this point I think this young adult book from 1999 can be considered a modern classic. I did not read it in school, but I'd like to read it now.
6. My Most Excellent Year by Steve Kluger
My own year has been kind of a mess, so I definitely chose the next few reads from the "sounds uplifting" tag on my might-want-to-read list. The other tags on this book inform me I may have chosen yet another queer romance, but at least I gave myself some variety this season!
7. Nothing to Fear by Julie McFadden
Here's another kind of nonfiction I love! I have a feeling that I probably heard McFadden on a podcast and that's how I got interested in her book on demystifying death. I think hospice is awesome and that the folks who work in it have a lot to share with the rest of us, so I'm excited to pick this one up.
8. Only Love Today by Rachel Mary Stafford
It appears this book of daily inspiration may be more heavily Christian than I realized when several Goodreads friends recommended it, but I'm cool with occasionally dipping my toe back into the world of Christian books as long as they don't come with a lot of cringy, narrow-minded assumptions. We shall see where this one falls!
9. Somewhere Beyond the Sea by T.J. Klune
I'm pretty sure I first heard about this from a Goodreads ad, but I immediately knew from the title and cover that it was a sequel to The House in the Cerulean Sea and went and put a hold on it. I don't plan to reread the first book, so hopefully it's the kind of sequel that gives you some time to get re-oriented to the world.
10. Women Who Run with the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estes, PhD
This book pops back up on my radar on a regular basis, and I've now had it on my "priority read" shelf for quite a while, so I'm finally going to read it this fall!

What do you plan to read this fall?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Project Hail Mary, The Sittaford Mystery, and Our Favorite Songs
Five years ago I was reading: Possession, Let's Pretend This Never Happened, and Misreading Scripture with Western Eyes
Ten years ago I was reading: The Souls of Black Folk, Family Matters, and More Than Serving Tea

No comments:

Post a Comment