Monday, September 30, 2024

Best of the Bunch (September 2024)

Best of the Bunch header

Today I'm sharing the best book I read in September.

Of the eight books I read this month, I had two 5-star reads:

Nimona by N.D. Stevenson

I'll Have What He's Having by Adib Khorram

These were both very good for different reasons! Because my 9-year-old and I read the graphic novel Nimona over the span of a few weeks, I feel less confident in my 5-star rating (though very interested in rereading it on my own now). And I'm always happy to hype Adib Khorram, one of my favorite authors who is not well known enough!
At this point I will read anything Adib Khorram writes, and I'm not surprised that his first adult romance novel, I'll Have What He's Having, was as good or better than his young adult books. While he draws on some romance tropes to structure his novel, everything in between was authentic (and spicy!). Although there were a few too many sex scenes for my personal taste, I greatly appreciated how Khorram showed two men navigating real-life conversations about sex, including testing and protection, consent, and preparation and supplies for anal sex. It was lovely to see Farzan and David's romance add depth to the already full lives they each had, including close familial relationships and lifelong friendships. I love a book where there are no villains, just a lot of people doing their best in their own way. I will continue to look forward to reading whatever Khorram writes next!

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Project Hail Mary, Clap When You Land, and Wherever Is Your Heart
Five years ago I was reading: Possession, The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Riddle of Ages, God Land, and Whistling Vivaldi
Ten years ago I was reading: I Am Malala, Family Matters, and The Road

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment