Thursday, August 31, 2023

Best of the Bunch (August 2023)

Best of the Bunch header

Today I'm sharing the best book I read in August.

I had another mediocre reading month. Once again, I read 7 books and had just one 5-star read, so that's my Best of the Bunch!

Sorted was an incredibly accessible and readable memoir about Bird's experience growing up and coming out as a trans man. He mentions near the end that he decided to focus his platform on educating cis people about trans issues, and I think (from my perspective as a cis person with many beloved trans people in my everyday life) he does an excellent job of telling his story in a way that is both educational to cis people and validating for other trans people. For example, in talking about the years when he doubled down on presenting as feminine, he both makes it clear to cis people that his trans identity isn't invalidated by this phase of his life and validates trans people that they can still be trans even if they spent a long time being unsure about their gender or aggressively buying into the stereotypical gender expression of their assigned gender. It's really well done, and I'd recommend it to cis and trans folks alike.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Ella Minnow Pea, She Who Became the Sun, and I Survived the Sinking of the Titanic, 1912
Five years ago I was reading: Kaffir Boy and Talking Across the Divide
Ten years ago I was reading: A Moveable Feast and How to Be a Woman

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment