Wednesday, March 15, 2023

What I've Been Reading Lately (Quick Lit)

Today I'm linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy's Quick Lit to bring you some short and sweet reviews of what I've read in the past month. For longer reviews, you can always find me on Goodreads.

Magical Boy Volume 1 by The Kao: I really liked the concept behind this graphic novel: Trans boy is descended from a family of magical women and has to both save the world and convince his mom that he can still carry on the legacy as a boy. Unfortunately, the execution wasn't great, both story-wise and in the layout of the dialogue in the panels.

The Man in the Brown Suit by Agatha Christie: This is one of Christie's spy thrillers, which are not her best genre. The main character's goal kept shifting throughout, and there's a questionable romance, really cringe-y pro-colonialist sentiments, and dehumanizing descriptions of Black Africans. I was shocked the All About Agatha hosts rated it so highly.

How to Be a Normal Person by T.J. Klune: Although I laughed out loud a few times, I was mostly disappointed in this book. It misrepresents asexuality and seems to mock the aspects of the main character that imply he's on the autism spectrum. It had enough funny moments to keep me reading, but overall it rubbed me the wrong way and I don't personally recommend it.

Loveless by Alice Oseman: This was my February Best of the Bunch. It has great aroace rep, lovely character development, and a fast-paced plot that made me not want to put the book down. I'm glad this book has gotten so much attention.

Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward: Though the language in this book is beautiful, the story was bleak in a way I didn't find worth it in the end. The characters were unsympathetic, the supernatural elements were heavy-handed and not well explained, and I don't think I'm better able to respond to pain and suffering in the world just because Ward forced me to look it in the face in this book. This was the rare book that no one in my book club liked.

Snapdragon by Kat Leyh: This graphic novel was SO good. It's a story of found family and embracing the things you love (even when they're unusual) and gender expression and magic. I almost cried multiple times in the waiting room where I read it in one sitting. It has so much heart and I can't recommend it highly enough.

The Violin Conspiracy by Brendan Slocumb: This was an engaging story that I enjoyed on audio, even if it ended up being more literary fiction than a true mystery or thriller. I'm glad that it's gotten so much attention and is shedding more light on how much discrimination there is in the world of classical music. Some plot points weren't well explained, but on the whole I enjoyed the read/listen.

Fat Luther, Slim Pickin’s: A Black Catholic Celebration of Faith, Tradition, and Diversity by Marcia Lane-McGee and Shannon Wimp Schmidt: Using the framework of the liturgical year, the authors share personal experiences and elements of Black culture to showcase how everyday Catholicism can help us move toward a more equitable and just world. I think the target audience is probably a little more comfortable with American Catholicism and a little less familiar with racial justice than I am, but I found it engaging to read nonetheless due to the authors' conversational style.

Handsome by Holly Lorka: This was a hilarious and incredibly enjoyable memoir of Lorka's experiences with sex, gender identity, and the ridiculousness of life. I laughed out loud multiple times and read the whole thing in two days.

Mooncakes by Suzanne Walker and Wendy Xu: This was cute. A non-binary werewolf comes back to a town where they used to live and reunites with an old friend, a witch who lives with her grandmothers, and they have to figure out how to defeat a demon. Some of the magical elements could have been better explained, but on the whole it was a fun and enjoyable read.

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Not Your Sidekick and Drinking the Rain
Five years ago I was reading: Broken Harbor and Pawn of Prophecy
Ten years ago I was reading: The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks and 168 Hours

No comments:

Post a Comment