Thursday, December 15, 2022

What I've Been Reading Lately (Quick Lit)

Today I'm linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy's Quick Lit to bring you some short and sweet reviews of what I've read in the past month. For longer reviews, you can always find me on Goodreads.

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee: This was a fun read, pretty much the queer YA historical romance romp that I expected it to be. There's a lot that's unbelievable about the plot, but you just kind of have to be along for the ride.

The Seven Dials Mystery by Agatha Christie: This was fine but I didn't enjoy it as much as the first Superintendent Battle book. The story itself was entertaining enough to keep me invested, but I didn't find the solution as satisfactory as some others.

The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver: I first read and loved this book in high school, and aside from some elements that have aged poorly, the book still has the heart that made me love it that first time. The characters feel like real, three-dimensional people who are muddling through life the best that they can.

Go to Sleep (I Miss You): Cartoons from the Fog of New Parenthood by Lucy Knisley: This was a compilation of sketches the author had previously posted to Instagram showing snapshots of her life as a new parent. A few got a chuckle from me, but mostly I just responded with, "Yep. And?" Maybe if there had been more narrative or commentary around the drawings, I would have had more of a response to them.

The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics by Olivia Waite: This was a lovely historical sapphic romance with a large dose of feminists kicking butt. Although everything worked out a little too easily and conveniently in my opinion, there was something nice about two queer women forming a relationship without too many obstacles and then joining forces to smash the patriarchy.

Check, Please! Book 1: #Hockey by Ngozi Ukazu: This was a cute graphic novel. The storytelling makes good use of the comic format, and the characters each have their own unique personalities while all seeming like college kids. The romance, unfortunately, worked less well for me here, but it wasn't as central to the plot as I expected.

Check, Please! Book 2: Sticks & Scones by Ngozi Ukazu: I really enjoyed this, even more than the first volume. I liked the romance better, and just given that we get to see the main character across four years of college, when it's his turn to go through the senior year and graduation rituals, they pack an emotional punch. I recommend reading through both volumes of this series.

The Lazy Genius Way: Embrace What Matters, Ditch What Doesn't, and Get Stuff Done by Kendra Adachi: I'm glad this book has been helpful for so many people. I did not find it personally that revolutionary. The main benefit, I guess, was affirming most of what I'm already doing. But I had to sit through a lot of unrelatable examples to get there.

Why Fish Don't Exist: A Story of Loss, Love, and the Hidden Order of Life by Lulu Miller: I didn't find this book as life-changing as many people seem to have, but it was interesting and provided some nice frameworks for thinking about life and purpose.

Huda F Are You? by Huda Fahmy: This was a very quick read, but it was good. Through a fictionalized story of her freshman year of high school, Fahmy depicts the identity exploration that happens at that age. I'm not entirely sure what this graphic novel adds to the other works of teenage identity exploration out there, but it's engaging and relatable and overall I enjoyed it.

Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome: This classic children's book was hard to get into at first, but the plot picked up in the second half. I can understand how this has been beloved by children of generations past, but given some of the outdated ideas and language in this book, I'd pass on sharing it with kids today.

Dragons Never Die by Cara J. Stevens: This continues to be a series my 7-year-old enjoys. From my perspective it's not particularly engaging or original, but it's also coherent and entertaining enough that I didn't mind reading it with them every night. We plan to continue the series.

The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy by Mackenzi Lee: This was enjoyable, if uneven. I liked it as much as the first one but for different reasons. I thought the pacing was off a bit in this one, and I have a lot of unanswered plot questions, but that was more than well balanced by all the great messages Lee managed to work into the plot.

Murder Is Easy by Agatha Christie: This is technically a Superintendent Battle book, but only barely — he makes a brief appearance at the end. This isn't a standout by any means, but it was entertaining enough and the mystery hung together in a satisfying way, which is what I go to Christie for!

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Shalom and the Community of Creation, Unicorns and Germs, and To the End of June
Five years ago I was reading: Sophie's Choice and The Stand
Ten years ago I was reading: The Pox Party

No comments:

Post a Comment