Monday, September 5, 2022

Ten Books I Loved So Much I Had to Get a Copy for My Personal Library


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

This week we're talking about books we got for our personal library because we loved them so much. If you don't already know, this is more or less my entire personal library; I try not to have more than a couple physical books I haven't yet read (only ones I can't get through the library), so almost everything I own is books I selected because I loved them and wanted to own them. There's obviously a lot of overlap here with favorites that I've talked about in the past!
1. 168 Hours by Laura Vanderkam
I originally read this on audio, but I found it so incredibly helpful that I got a hard copy so I could refer back to her various prompts for defining how you want to spend your time (and figuring out how you're currently spending it).
2. The Homecoming of Samuel Lake by Jenny Wingfield
I absolutely love this book that most people haven't heard of, and since Wingfield hasn't published another book since this one, I'm a little worried it will go out of print, so I'm glad I have a copy!
3. How to Talk So Little Kids Will Listen by Joanna Faber and Julie King
I've mentioned my fondness for the How to Talk books around these parts a number of times now. There are so many practical examples and helpful guidelines that feel realistic and empathetic, and I wanted to make sure I had a hard copy of this one for reference.
4. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
This book — part biography, part science history, part memoir — is one of my all-time favorite works of nonfiction and one that I will recommend to a wide variety of people, so I definitely wanted to have a copy on hand!
5. Precious Little Sleep by Alexis Dubief
This is the sleep book to end all sleep books for parents. I've already lent it out to two different friends with kids and I have referenced it multiple times for my own baby (now toddler).
6. The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay
I originally read this on Kindle and was completely blown away by it. I don't know if I'd actually reread it in hard copy, but it's one I'll keep on my shelves for people to get interested in and maybe borrow!
7. Small Animals by Kim Brooks
This was the most validating book I've read on parenting in the modern era and having a copy is a good reminder of that. A lot of readers have said they couldn't relate to her anxiety around other people's judgment of her parenting, but after she was literally charged with "contributing to the delinquency of a minor" for leaving her child in the car for a few minutes on a temperate day, I think she has good reason to worry!
8. Tash Hearts Tolstoy by Kathryn Ormsbee
While Tash's experience of asexuality doesn't exactly match my own, I appreciated that this was a realistic YA depiction of that identity that wasn't just a plot pasted around an Asexuality 101 lesson; it has a solid plot in its own right about the perils of internet fame, and there's a lot of diverse representation beyond Tash's sexuality.
9. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
I read this for the first time on audio, which I don't recommend — despite the excellent narration — because of the need to remember where you are in time. This is another one that I may or may not reread in hard copy, but I'd definitely lend it out to those who I think would enjoy it.
10. We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler
I've read this twice now and loved it both times, so it seemed worthy of a spot on my bookshelf. I'm not going to share anything about the plot because it's too easy to spoil a major piece of this book, but I recommended it to my book club and told everyone to read it without any context and people seemed to like it a lot!

Which favorite books do you own?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: The Sun Is Also a Star, Womanist Midrash, and Strange the Dreamer
Five years ago I was reading: Infinite Jest and Taken at the Flood
Ten years ago I was reading: The Art of Racing in the Rain

No comments:

Post a Comment