Monday, December 14, 2020

Top Ten Books on My Winter TBR


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

I finished almost all the books on my fall TBR list. I'm just slowly making my way through the very long audiobook of Strangers from a Different Shore. However, once this week is over it will be winter break and then I will be on parental leave for several months, so I plan to get a lot of reading done! Here's some of what I plan to read in the next few months.

1. Autobiography of a Face by Lucy Grealy
I recently read Truth and Beauty, Ann Patchett's memoir of her friendship with Lucy Grealy. I had seen Grealy's book before but didn't have any particular interest in reading it until I heard Patchett's story of her friend's life. Now that I've gotten an outside perspective, I'm interested to read Grealy's own account of her life.
2. The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden
My book club's theme for January was "winter," and while I haven't yet read this I've seen it recommended so many times that I thought it would be a good one to nominate, and it was chosen to be our January selection. So now I plan to read this on audio just as soon as I'm done with the Asian history book.
3. Concrete Rose by Angie Thomas
Like almost everyone else, I loved The Hate U Give, and I thought Angie Thomas' sophomore novel, On the Come Up, was also excellent. This book is a prequel to The Hate U Give that comes out in January and I'm excited to read it!
4. Feminist, Queer, Crip by Alison Kafer
This book was recommended by our Episode 29 podcast guest and I'm looking forward to diving in!
5. The Flatshare by Beth O'Leary
Last month I read The Switch and thoroughly enjoyed that light-hearted romance, and it sounds like this other one of O'Leary's will be more of the same. It'll be a nice change of pace after all the heavy nonfiction I'm reading.
6. The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers
I've heard this one recommended for forever, and I think it's time I finally pick it up!
7. The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
After our second son was born, my great-aunt recommended an obscure children's book that has two characters with our two sons' names and is intended to be a parody of this classic story. I've had this on my list for quite a while, so it gave me a push to finally put it on hold. (And the audiobook is narrated by Martin Jarvis, who I love!)
8. The Moving Finger by Agatha Christie
I'm still slowly working my way through the Miss Marple books. This one is up next!
9. A Room with a View by E.M. Forster
This is a book from my "shelf of shame" — one I can't believe I haven't read yet because it comes up over and over and over again. I've decided it's finally time.
10. The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher
It's been a while since I took the time to read a long, sweeping novel like this one, but based on what I've heard about it I think I'll really like it, and I will hopefully have the time and quiet on parental leave to focus on this one.

What do you plan to read in the next few months?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, The Next Evangelicalism, and The Watsons Go to Birmingham--1963
Five years ago I was reading: Middlemarch, The Unthinkable, and A Snicker of Magic
Ten years ago I was reading: I Like Being Married

No comments:

Post a Comment