Monday, November 30, 2020

Top Ten Books I Want to Reread


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

Way back in 2014 I shared some of the books I wanted to reread, and no surprise to anyone, I still haven't reread most of them. It's just hard for me to prioritize something I've read before over all the many titles I have yet to experience. Usually I only reread books if they're chosen for one of my book clubs (and sometimes I'll nominate books I want to reread for this reason!). These are ten I'd still like to reread.

1. 168 Hours by Laura Vanderkam
I was just telling a friend how helpful this was for figuring out how I wanted to spend my time, and it led me to revisit my "List of 100 Dreams," many of which I've now accomplished. My daily life looks a lot different than the first time I read this book, and I'd love to revisit it.

2. The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver
I've read much of what Kingsolver has written, but this was the first. I read it in high school and have never returned to it since then, but I'd like to experience the story again as an adult to see if it resonates with me in the same way.

3. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
I haven't read this since middle school, though I did finally watch the movie in the past couple years and it reminded me how good this story is. It's a long one, though, so it would be quite an investment of time to reread it, which is why I haven't picked it up yet.

4. Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton
This is another one that I read in high school, and I don't remember anything about it. I was dating a white guy from South Africa at the time, and I wonder if I would have a different perspective on the book now.

5. The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart
I've admittedly been disappointed in some of E. Lockhart's recent works, but this is still one of my favorite books. Given how much I recommend it, I think I should reread it and see if it's as good as I remember.

6. The Homecoming of Samuel Lake by Jenny Wingfield
This book is one of the most beautiful works of fiction I've ever read, but I rarely see it mentioned; it doesn't seem to be well known. I've recommended it to one of my book clubs to read, and I'm looking forward to the chance to revisit it.

7. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
This is another classic I read long ago when I was in school, and I'd like to have a fresher perspective on it, but it's also quite long and I'm not sure I'll ever make the commitment to rereading it.

8. The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse by Louise Erdrich
I read this one for a college English class with a teacher I really didn't like, and that surely colored my reading of this. I've had so many other Erdrich books recommended to me since then, and I'd like to read those, but I also think I should return to this one at some point.

9. Parent Effectiveness Training by Thomas Gordon
I read this before becoming a parent, and I've said forever that I need to revisit it, but I still haven't. Now that we have a second child, this might be a good time.

10. With Burning Hearts by Henri J. Nouwen
This is a powerful little book, and I knew after I finished it that I would want to return to it in the future. I think once the pandemic is over and our church reopens, I might want a reminder of all there is to love about the Mass.

What books do you want to reread?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Demon Lord of Karanda, The Next Evangelicalism, and Airships
Five years ago I was reading: Middlemarch, On heroes, lizard and passion, and A Snicker of Magic
Ten years ago I was reading: The Happiness Project

No comments:

Post a Comment