Monday, June 29, 2020

Best of the Bunch: June 2020

Best of the Bunch header

Today I'm sharing the best book I read in June.

Of the 9 books I read this month, I had three 5-star reads:

Sadie by Courtney Summers

Women, Race, & Class by Angela Y. Davis

The End of Policing by Alex S. Vitale

These were all great, but the one that most made me want to go out and recommend it immediately was...


The End of Policing is a thoroughly sourced summary of all the areas of society in which policing has made things worse rather than better, including schools, mental illness, homelessness, gangs, and border control. Vitale shows again and again how a stronger social safety net, along with a higher minimum wage and decriminalization of drugs and sex work, would be more successful at generating the outcomes we as a society want but which we instead have been attempting to accomplish through laws and policing. If you want to better understand the current "defund the police" movement, this is an excellent overview of the main arguments. Additionally, it includes a fascinating history of how local police forces were created in the first place (more recently than I realized). Definitely recommended.

What is the best book you read this month? Let me know in comments, or write your own post and link up below!

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: Jellicoe Road
Five years ago I was reading: Why Did Jesus, Moses, the Buddha, and Mohammed Cross the Road?
Ten years ago I was reading: Angela's Ashes
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment