Monday, June 15, 2020

What I've Been Reading Lately (Quick Lit)


Today I'm linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy's Quick Lit to bring you some short and sweet reviews of what I've read in the past month. For longer reviews, you can always find me on Goodreads.

The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton: At first I wasn't sure about the jumps back and forth in time and between POVs, but Morton manages to weave a mystery and provide frequent reveals/twists while you think you already know what happened, which is masterful. I'm glad to have finally read my first Kate Morton, and I look forward to reading some of her other works!

Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard: I liked parts of this, although it was slow going for a 300-page book. Her writing is beautiful at times, incisive at times, and meandering and tedious in between. For someone who is particularly interested in both nature and theology, I might recommend this. For the average reader, probably not.

Native: Identity, Belonging, and Rediscovering God by Kaitlin B. Curtice: Curtice weaves together her own story as a white-coded Potawatomi woman learning about her identity in adulthood with the stories of others to preach powerfully on the erasure of Indigenous cultures in America and in the Christian church. The second half of this book is very, very strong, but the opening few chapters felt very scattered. It's worth pushing through the beginning to get to the riches she shares in the rest of the book.

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin: I won't say I was riveted for the entire 41 hours of this biography of Lincoln and his contemporaries, but it was extremely well done and I enjoyed the chance to understand more about Lincoln and about the Civil War. Goodwin clearly lays out exactly why Lincoln was such a good man and a good president. I would definitely recommend this if you have the patience for it!

The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd: Christian tradition holds that Jesus of Nazareth was unmarried, but the Gospels don't actually say either way, and little is recorded of his adult life before his public ministry began at age 30. Kidd has envisioned one possibility, in which Jesus followed the traditional path for a Jewish man and took a wife and then was forced to separate from her during the years of his ministry, causing her to be erased from history. This was a daunting task to take on, and I think she did an admirable job with the end result.

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: The Warmth of Other Suns and Educated
Five years ago I was reading: The Tale of Desperaux, Little House on the Prairie, Angle of Repose, and The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
Ten years ago I was reading: Everything Is Illuminated

No comments:

Post a Comment