Monday, May 25, 2020

Opening Lines of Ten Favorite Books


I'm linking up with That Artsy Reader Girl for another Top Ten Tuesday.

This week we're talking about opening lines. My bookshelf, as I've mentioned, is culled to just a collection of favorite books, so I didn't have many to reference, but I tried to pull some good opening lines!


1. "John Moses couldn't have chosen a worse day, or a worse way to die, if he'd planned it for a lifetime." - The Homecoming of Samuel Lake by Jenny Wingfield


2. "I was a wonderful parent before I had children." - How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish


3. "There's a photo on my wall of a woman I've never met, its left corner torn and patched together with tape." - The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot


4. "For eight years I dreamed of fire." - The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh


5. "I was born twice: first, as a baby girl, on a remarkably smogless Detroit day in January of 1960; and then again, as a teenage boy, in an emergency room near Petoskey, Michigan, in August of 1974." - Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides


6. "'Shit,' I thought to myself, 'I'm going to be late to New Testament class.'" - Pastrix by Nadia Bolz-Weber


7. "I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice — not because of his voice, or because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother's death, but because is the reason I believe in God; I am a Christian because of Owen Meany." - A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving


8. "Dying really isn't so bad after you've done it once." - The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay


9. "In March of 2011, a person I didn't know, and would never meet, tried to have me arrested for what she viewed as criminally irresponsible parenting." - Small Animals by Kim Brooks


10. "Those who know me now will be surprised to learn that I was a great talker as a child." - We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler

Do any of these first lines make you interested?

Looking back:
One year ago I was reading: 84, Charing Cross Road and The Trespasser
Five years ago I was reading: Gilead, Summer of My German Soldier, and What If?
Ten years ago I was reading: Tuck Everlasting

No comments:

Post a Comment